1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

AC87U Asus Merlin - Jumbo Frames and MTU

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by snbnoob, Sep 11, 2019.

1. snbnoob

snbnoob New Around Here

I'm having an issue setting up Jumbo Frames between my NAS and PC both connected to my AC87U router with the latest Merlin Firmware.

Both the PC and NAS have 9k frames enabled. The router has Jumbo Frames Enabled as well

1. When the PC and NAS are connected directly, 9k packets can be sent and received fine, and i get a 5-10% throughput increase vs a lower MTU.
    2. However When the PC and NAS are connected to the router, the max packet caps out at only 3k and performance is lower

I've tried manually setting the LAN MTU in the router to 9k for all interfaces but this doesnt work either.

Any idea what is going on here?

2. snbnoob

snbnoob New Around Here

Anyone able to help?

3. netware5

netware5 Senior Member

You may want to check if ALL LAN devices (not only router, NAS and PC) support jumbo frames and their network interfaces are properly configured. This is a requirement.

4. snbnoob

snbnoob New Around Here

Thanks for your reply, the only devices physically connected to the router are the NAS and PC.

Would wifi Wii connected devices cause an impact?

Also if i put the NAS and PC behind a switch and then connect that to the router, all works fine.

Its only when i plug the NAS and PC directly into the router that jumbo frames and the packet size fails.

5. netware5

netware5 Senior Member

Wi-Fi connected device have no impact. As everything works fine with switch I think you have a problem with router. Did you tried to experiment with different jumbo frames sizes between standard (1.5k) and maximum (9k)? May be the router has a limit for jumbo frame size, i.e. 3k?