What's new

[AC87U] Issue with OpenVPN Client - no internet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ZeMitras

New Around Here
Hello!

This is my first post here, although I've been using Asus hardware from long time ago. I own an Asus RT-AC87U and since I discover asuswrt Merlin my life became brighter.

I've tried to draw a simplified version of my network setup (luckily I still maintain some paint skills form my collage time):
upload_2019-10-16_14-54-30.png

In summary, my telco router does not allow bridge mode, and so I setup the DMZ to my Asus RT-AC87U.
I've setup an OpenVPN Server running in AC87U which works flawassly.

The problem is with the OpenVPN Client (to my VPS which is running an OpenVPN server).
When I enable the OpenVPN Client, the session is established and I see the correct external IP (from my VPS) but every LAN device that I force (via policy) to use this VPN looses the contact with the internet (I cant reach any outside site).

What I have already tested, after I enable the VPN Client:
- I've check that the devices ping the router and other LAN devices with normal ping times (< 8 ms in wifi)
- I've checked that the OpenVPN clients can reach the pi-hole DNS server machine and resolve the DNS.
- Even so, and to simplify this debug, I've setup 1.1.1.1 DNS server (WAN tab) and made sure that the "LAN - DCHP Server" tab the DNS is set to the router (10.10.10.1) but no luck either

Router config screens:
home page:
upload_2019-10-16_15-29-44.png
wan page:
upload_2019-10-16_15-41-5.png

openvpn client config page:
upload_2019-10-16_16-2-22.png

system log - routing page:
upload_2019-10-16_16-3-19.png

I would appreciate any help you could provide.
Thanks in advance!

Test on vpn client page to set compression=None
Edit:
Also look for clues in syslog
And Welcome to the forum :)

Last edited:
Hello Zastoff! Thanks for your reply.
I dont understand what happened, I tried to set compression=None and nothing changed, but when I reverted compression=disabled it started to work... I dont understand why, but it is working! Thanks for the help

EDIT:
I think i've found the cause, the VPN Server was running simultaneously and apparently this causes the VPN CLient to not work properly.

Last edited: