What's new

AC87U recommended for further use? changes of h/w version A2?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ceshie

New Around Here
I need your advice. After 3 years of several frustrating problems with my AC87U router (crashes and unstable operation, range problems and slow transfer rates), I sent it in for repair and now got a completely new router.

I noticed that it has h/w version A2, was manufactured in 2017 and already has fw 380 installed. I bought my old AC87U as soon as it was on the market and it had h/w A1 or similar.

Is there a big difference to the newly made versions of the AC87U? Have the big known problems been fixed?
Would you advise me to just buy a new router or continue using the replaced router (I haven't opened it yet)?
AIMesh support wouldn't be bad and I don't think the AC87U will get any longer security updates...

I need your advice. After 3 years of several frustrating problems with my AC87U router (crashes and unstable operation, range problems and slow transfer rates), I sent it in for repair and now got a completely new router.

I noticed that it has h/w version A2, was manufactured in 2017 and already has fw 380 installed. I bought my old AC87U as soon as it was on the market and it had h/w A1 or similar.

Is there a big difference to the newly made versions of the AC87U? Have the big known problems been fixed?
Would you advise me to just buy a new router or continue using the replaced router (I haven't opened it yet)?
AIMesh support wouldn't be bad and I don't think the AC87U will get any longer security updates...

I have no experience with the 87U... it looks capable but no AiMesh and it's an older build... if you can pass it on unopened at a discount and without fearing support issues... you could consider a newer/stronger build with AiMesh support like the 86U.

OE

I tend to agree with @OzarkEdge above but....if the resale value of the unopened 87U is not that great it might be worth giving it a try. From reading these forums for the last few years I seem to recall seeing some threads stating that most of the issues with the 87U have been ironed out. The 87U is still being supported by the Asuswrt-Merlin firmware that is highly regarded on this site. The current version is 384.7. More info here: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/release-asuswrt-merlin-384-7-is-now-available.49194/

Thank you for your answers. I will first try to sell the router. But the demand doesn't seem to be too big and the sales prices are relatively low. If I don't get enough money for the router or nobody wants it, I will give it another chance.

However, my impression of ASUS is that they don't build the best routers that are reliable and stable. I have also tested the ASUS Lyra Mesh system and often had problems with the WLAN connection and speed.
Were my experiences rather bad luck?

Is there currently a future-proof router from Netgear, AVM Fritz! or other brands that can be recommended?

Thank you for your answers. I will first try to sell the router. But the demand doesn't seem to be too big and the sales prices are relatively low. If I don't get enough money for the router or nobody wants it, I will give it another chance.

However, my impression of ASUS is that they don't build the best routers that are reliable and stable. I have also tested the ASUS Lyra Mesh system and often had problems with the WLAN connection and speed.
Were my experiences rather bad luck?

Is there currently a future-proof router from Netgear, AVM Fritz! or other brands that can be recommended?

If selling is not worth it, it may be more useful in your service and later as a backup router. It may even serve 2-3 years until 802.11ax product is stable, depending on your usage. Maybe staying the course is your best option now that you've work through the initial trouble.

My impression of the Lyra is that it's an early mesh system, so maybe not the best example.

The ASUS 86U is a fairly safe bet, imo, especially if you can get it on sale. See the reviews in the right margin of this site.

OE