1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

AC87U - Weird QoS problem, can't access certain websites

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by Konkulf, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Konkulf

Konkulf New Around Here

Hey!

I have been having a very weird problem that I can't quite figure out these last few days. I have a router (Asus AC87U with the latest Merlin firmware) where I'm having the weird problem that every time I enable QoS, I can't access certain websites. As soon as I turn it off, everything is fine again..

I have tried multiple DNS's (Quad9, OpenDNS, Google, ISP, Cloudflare etc), but nothing seems to work, and whatever I do with the QoS, I still can't access some certain websites.

I've done a tracert as well, but everything seems the same both with or without QoS enabled.

Here are some pictures of my WAN and QoS settings:

WAN
    QoS1
    QoS2

Websites/programs I have found to not be able to access so far, are:

https://eu.shop.battle.net/en-us
    https://www.mazda.no/
    League of Legends game client

Anybody have any clue what could be wrong here?

2. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

Try changing the WAN MTU back to 1500.

3. Konkulf

Konkulf New Around Here

Didn't seem to change anything I'm afraid...

4. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

Are you using DNSFilter? What about ad-blocking on the router? Try temporarily disabling them.

Vexira likes this.
  5. ApexRon

ApexRon Senior Member

Sorry, I have to ask; Did you try something other than "Custom" QoS?
    To me that sounds like you are able to reach the site. So the question becomes; Why isn't it painting the screen? All QoS should be doing is prioritizing packets base on the port being used.

Vexira likes this.
  6. FreshJR

FreshJR Very Senior Member

Because adaptiveQOS allows prioritized traffic to take up the lions share of network bandwidth while ONLY guaranteeing 16kb/s for any traffic with a lower priority.

Also, HTTPS is set as #1 priority no matter what the user set the QoS order as. With that, a single https download is able choke everything else out and basically shut down the network. Asus doesn't seem to think its an issue.

--Read ISSUE2 for an indepth explanation even if not planing to use the QoS Mod.
    https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...ements-custom-rules-and-inner-workings.36836/

Not saying that this is the issue, but it may be.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
    Vexira and ColinTaylor like this.
  7. dave14305

dave14305 Very Senior Member

Enabling/disabling QoS could switch your wan interface from eth0 to vlan2 if CTF+FA hardware acceleration are both enabled. Do you do any custom modifications that assume the WAN is eth0? Swinging in the dark here, but that's the only thing I can think of that would change just from enabling/disabling QoS.

I don't use the Automatic Setting in QoS. I set the bandwidth to 85-90% of my maximum speedtests. I'm pretty sure @FreshRJ says automatic setting is junk.

Vexira and L&LD like this.