What's new

AC88U 2.4ghz issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Scott Hunter

Occasional Visitor
Tried searching but do not see my issues, I see issues with dropping 2.4. ghz but thats not my problem. I am running the newest firmware . After installing latest firm i reset router in software and the little red button on back.

Issues

1. Can see the 2.4ghz and the 5ghz. (disabled smart connect) (WPA2 Personal) tried others also

2. 5ghz works fine.

3. Cant connect to the 2.4ghz as is says authentication error.

4. Wife laptop can see the 2.4 and connects but says no internet. ( she does not have 5ghz)

OK. So put in melrin. After installing reboot and reset router .. Still no go. What seems to happen is when i try to connect to the 2.4 it says password is wrong . But its not.

factory reset from GUI or go back to last working firmware, sorry out of ideas.
delete saved connections on client side and set them again.

factory reset from GUI or go back to last working firmware, sorry out of ideas.
delete saved connections on client side and set them again.

I tried factory reset. The issues started while using stock firm 2 weeks or so ago. I didn't notice as most devises are 5,GHz. After trying to stay on stock firm I went and put Marlin today in hopes of a fix. Even see online here to hit power button while the reset button to no avail.

reset is done while on with reset button for 5s or power off, press WPS button and power on, hold WPS 20s longer then release.

Maybe there is a hardware defect or too many other strong WiFi around you?

i also have issues with 2.4 failing after a day or 2 , also authentication problem, untill i reboot the device
5 ghz still working
all my clients cant connect anymore to the router, like chromecast, google home, vacuum cleaner

Well im back. Finally some time to tackle this. First step this morn was grab my old asus rt-ac3100 and test.. Well test not so good. Did the set up wizard, separate the 2.4ghz from 5ghz, wizard complete and wait about 30 mins before setting up any devices, Well now none of my devices see my 2.4ghz . I duno whats going on. Note 8 phone and amazon fire tv was the devices im checking on. Any way 2.4ghz can both be blocked on both routers?

Now im pretty sure its a bad router 88u. Got the older on to work just fine. Finally. So figured id do the exact same steps with the 88U. well same issue as ,authentication error. Even tried turning on guest 2.4 and same issue . Seems only the 5ghz wants to work. Unless yall have some diff ideas i belive im bummed out ..

well been a few weeks. No luck . Now to get another 88u or change to a diff router. Any recommendations? also side reminder i have a 1Gbps connection.

Well im back. Finally some time to tackle this. First step this morn was grab my old asus rt-ac3100 and test.. Well test not so good. Did the set up wizard, separate the 2.4ghz from 5ghz, wizard complete and wait about 30 mins before setting up any devices, Well now none of my devices see my 2.4ghz . I duno whats going on. Note 8 phone and amazon fire tv was the devices im checking on. Any way 2.4ghz can both be blocked on both routers?

It's curious that you have/had 2.4 GHz issues across two different routers. Have you inspected the ambient WiFi around you using a WiFi analyzer app?

About that Fire TV... does it use WiFi Direct for its remote controller? This is not a 2.4 GHz story, but... my closest neighbor is over 200 feet away behind brick walls. When using the Android WiFi Analyer Classic app, I have never seen other 5 GHz WiFi in my house... just my WLANs. Suddenly last week, I'm seeing a WiFi Direct Fire TV SSID and its nearly as strong (-76 dBm, 20 MHz, ch 153) as my 86U AiMesh node in the garage (-72 dBm, 80 MHz, ch 157). I guess he got a new Black Friday toy. But man, it sure is kicking out a strong 5 GHz Direct WiFi signal just to talk to a remote controller in the same room! I'm glad his Fire TV is not any closer.

OE

It's curious that you have/had 2.4 GHz issues across two different routers. Have you inspected the ambient WiFi around you using a WiFi analyzer app?

About that Fire TV... does it use WiFi Direct for its remote controller? This is not a 2.4 GHz story, but... my closest neighbor is over 200 feet away behind brick walls. When using the Android WiFi Analyer Classic app, I have never seen other 5 GHz WiFi in my house... just my WLANs. Suddenly last week, I'm seeing a WiFi Direct Fire TV SSID and its nearly as strong (-76 dBm, 20 MHz, ch 153) as my 86U AiMesh node in the garage (-72 dBm, 80 MHz, ch 157). I guess he got a new Black Friday toy. But man, it sure is kicking out a strong 5 GHz Direct WiFi signal just to talk to a remote controller in the same room! I'm glad his Fire TV is not any closer.

OE

Yea playing with analyzer now. whats bad is my 2.4 does not even show on app. but every time i change my channel on 5ghz other peoples wifi seem to change in the same range i set mine. Maybe im missing something here

Yea playing with analyzer now. whats bad is my 2.4 does not even show on app. but every time i change my channel on 5ghz other peoples wifi seem to change in the same range i set mine. Maybe im missing something here

A couple of points...

The app device needs to be dual band to monitor both bands. A 2.4 GHz only device will only show 2.4 GHz signals, and vice-versa.

When looking at the signal graph, there is a hidden band toggle at the top of the left margin. Touch there to toggle the display between the two bands.

'Other' signals mirroring yours is odd... are you sure they are not signals from your devices? For example, the Roku2 connects to site WiFi and uses WiFi Direct to talk to its remote. Folks on the 'Net determined that this WiFi Direct signal would follow and sit on the site WiFi signal channel AND boost its power to be greater than the site WiFi signal power. Which, of course, caused interference and broken site WiFi for the user's other wireless clients.

Printers also use strong WiFi Direct.

Perhaps try turning OFF your Fire TV to test.

OE

Last edited:
My device is note 8. Dunonif it's dual. But I can click and see the 2.4 with it. Just not my 2.4.

Sounds like the Note 8 has dual band WiFi.

If the analyzer does not display your 2.4 GHz WiFi signal, then maybe your router WiFi is faulty. Can you see a 2.4 GHz signal from your old AC3100?

OE

Sounds like the Note 8 has dual band WiFi.

If the analyzer does not display your 2.4 GHz WiFi signal, then maybe your router WiFi is faulty. Can you see a 2.4 GHz signal from your old AC3100?

OE
Have not tried..making a trio to best buy for a gift for wife and figured I'd sneak a router in. Just not sure if I alwanna try 88u again.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!