What's new

ac88u (fw 386.4) mesh setup lost 5-8 ports

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

winkingwolf

New Around Here
after a lot of checking my sat receiver i finally discovered that ports 5-8 were not working, i tried a few networked devices and all worked in 1-4 but not 5 -8, so reflashed with latest fw from asus and everything was fine, just wondering if merlin read this and has anyone had this problem on this fw release?

after a lot of checking my sat receiver i finally discovered that ports 5-8 were not working, i tried a few networked devices and all worked in 1-4 but not 5 -8, so reflashed with latest fw from asus and everything was fine, just wondering if merlin read this and has anyone had this problem on this fw release?
YES I lost ports 1-4 on my AX88U so I took the router out of service all together.

W

The AC88U has a reputation here for LAN ports5-8 failing. You might get them working again by jiggling the hardware, but the fault remains. It would be prudent to take them out of service, imo.

OE

The AC88U has a reputation here for LAN ports5-8 failing. You might get them working again by jiggling the hardware, but the fault remains. It would be prudent to take them out of service, imo.

OE
well i have reflashed with asus fw and all is working fine at the moment, prefer the merlin fw, 1st i have heard about 5-8 ports failing, i have not touched or jiggled the router apart from changing network cables, just wondering if it is a power/eco measure involved

well i have reflashed with asus fw and all is working fine at the moment, prefer the merlin fw, 1st i have heard about 5-8 ports failing, i have not touched or jiggled the router apart from changing network cables, just wondering if it is a power/eco measure involved
My recollection is that the ac88's 8 ports are actually 2 separate 4 port switches, with 2 different brands of switch hw.
I used one for 4+ years, 7 devices plugged in. It was the wan port that failed.

Rebooting would be 'jiggling' the hardware. :)

OE

@winkingwolf As other's have said this model has a separate switch for those ports. It can sometimes not initialise properly on boot up. The solution is usually to power off the router at the mains wall plug (rather than a software reboot), wait a few seconds and then turn it back on again.

is there
@winkingwolf As other's have said this model has a separate switch for those ports. It can sometimes not initialise properly on boot up. The solution is usually to power off the router at the mains wall plug (rather than a software reboot), wait a few seconds and then turn it back on again.
is it a physical swithc or software switch which is only enabled by a power off reboot (if power off i have tried this waiting a minute the rebooting), would be nice if there was a software physical button, would save a lot of agro

is it a physical swithc or software switch which is only enabled by a power off reboot (if power off i have tried this waiting a minute the rebooting), would be nice if there was a software physical button, would save a lot of agro
By "switch" I meant a network switch chip (Realtek RTL8365MB), not an "on/off" switch.

i assumed that, would be good if there was a physical or sw switch
AFAIK it's not something that happens frequently enough to warrant such a thing. Normally a standard reboot would be sufficient. The power off/on should be an exceptional occurrence.