What's new

AC88U Issues freeze, not able to access web interface

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

David Tanaka

New Around Here
Hi,

I have a AC88U I just purchased. I have about 45 or 50 various devices hooked to it and I assigned IP addresses to most all of them. After adding about 45 then the router seemed to slow down and then lock up. But sometimes it would not let me have the web interface, but it would still route to the internet. I have had to reset and reload the firmware about 8 times. I would save configurations at times when everything was working. The preverbal straw that would break the camel’s back was adding the assigned IP address in DHCP after about 45 or so. Finally, after the 8 or maybe 10th time, I just loaded a configuration that worked and left it. It has been working for 24 hours.

When I first got it, I was like a kid in a candy shop and turned on all the AI protection stuff. So, all the AI protection was the first thing I turned off when it froze the first time.

Then I read OpenVPN can create old certificates that fill up NVRAM so I turned that off same thing. Furthermore, I have been monitoring my NVRAM and it never goes beyond 65000.

I can’t find anything in the logs that jump out.

I found many issues close but not exactly the same. I can’t imagine assigning IPs to devices could cause it to lock up. Furthermore, this is a higher end router so I would expect it would not lock up so easily. So, I am reaching out to figure out if anyone knows what is going on.

This what I am using.

Merlin Version: 380.68_4

OpenVPN

DDNS -Dnsomatic

There are three port forwards.

Wifi and Guest Wifi

Using OpenDNS for DNS

THanks

David

2017-10-09_router.jpg

Hi,

I have a AC88U I just purchased. I have about 45 or 50 various devices hooked to it and I assigned IP addresses to most all of them. After adding about 45 then the router seemed to slow down and then lock up. But sometimes it would not let me have the web interface, but it would still route to the internet. I have had to reset and reload the firmware about 8 times. I would save configurations at times when everything was working. The preverbal straw that would break the camel’s back was adding the assigned IP address in DHCP after about 45 or so. Finally, after the 8 or maybe 10th time, I just loaded a configuration that worked and left it. It has been working for 24 hours.

When I first got it, I was like a kid in a candy shop and turned on all the AI protection stuff. So, all the AI protection was the first thing I turned off when it froze the first time.

Then I read OpenVPN can create old certificates that fill up NVRAM so I turned that off same thing. Furthermore, I have been monitoring my NVRAM and it never goes beyond 65000.

I can’t find anything in the logs that jump out.

I found many issues close but not exactly the same. I can’t imagine assigning IPs to devices could cause it to lock up. Furthermore, this is a higher end router so I would expect it would not lock up so easily. So, I am reaching out to figure out if anyone knows what is going on.

This what I am using.

Merlin Version: 380.68_4

OpenVPN

DDNS -Dnsomatic

There are three port forwards.

Wifi and Guest Wifi

Using OpenDNS for DNS

THanks

David

View attachment 10657
Maybe related or not, but @unclebuk and I both had issues with the OpenVPN Status and OpenVPN Client screens hanging/not responding on 380.68_4 for our AC88U routers. However, mine is working okay now after an extended shutdown. Perhaps try release 380.68_2? If you decide to do a factory reset and reenter your settings from scratch, I suggest taking a backup of your configuration at different stages, like a restore point in windows. So you can restore to a configuration you had before issues started.

Last edited:
Thanks Xentrk I will try. Thanks for tip, it helps, that what I ended up doing after about the 5th time, I am a slow learner. : )