What's new

AC88U on Germany Country Code operating in the UK?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tekrich

Regular Contributor
I obtained an AC88U for use as an AP on my network, and all is great.

However, I have just discovered, using WinFi utility that it has a DE (Germany) country code.

Is the country code baked into the hardware? Or can it be changed?

And will there be any loss with the hardware configured for Germany operating in the UK?

Last edited:
As far as I'm aware all of Europe has the same channel/power settings for wifi and the default country displayed for European settings for WiFi is often DE so your device is operating as expected if you are in the UK. (The two character country codes are from ISO 3166-1 alpha-2 so you may have expected UK or GB but EU standardisation results in DE being displayed)

If you enter an SSH session on your router you can enter
wl country
to check what your settings are and you will likely get DE (E0/989) GERMANY as the reply indicating you are set up for European standards. Equally if you check the nvram you will get the same result
nvram show | grep country_code
(but via the hex code E0 which is effectively the same answer).

Also if you are running a linux host connected to the router you will likely get the same result on your linux host as your linux host will sync to the wifi country code of the router after 24 hrs. (This is just for the wifi settings not anything else). This is shown via
iw reg get
After re-boot it will reply with the country code you set you set within the linux host but after 24 hrs it will likely synchonside its self to the country set within the router i.e. DE which = Europe

As what you are seeing is to be expected its not an issue or something that you need to 'fix' as its to be expected whilst in Europe and its only used to set the correct wifi settings.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!