What's new

AC88U Version 3.0.0.4.380.4180

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Piter

Regular Contributor
New version under Windows 8.1 32bit on Asus web page

ASUS RT-AC88U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.380.4180
Security related
- Updated OpenSSL library to 1.0.2j to fix security issues.
- Updated Dropbear SSH to 2016.74 to fixe security issues.
- Fixed a security vulnerability regarding XSS.
- Fixed a security vulnerability regarding CSRF.
- Added protection for Brute-force attack.

Bug fixed
- Fixed Chrome, Edge and IE compatibility issues.
- Fixed quick internet setting wizard compatibility issues.
- Fixed NAT issue caused by UPnP media server.
- Fixed dual wan issues in PPPoE or PPTP or L2TP + DHCP environment.
- Fixed AiCloud related issues.
- Fixed AP mode interoperability issues

Modified
- Updated NAT Acceleration setting help message.
- Supported Google DDNS.
- Enabled smart sync under AP/Media Bridge
- Supported new 3G/LTE USB dongle, Docomo L-03D.

MD5: bd6dd345f5e6ec95b5950c8b5f16ee06

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wi...4180.ZIP?_ga=1.83670102.1330773604.1479385746

Thanks for the notification. My router did not find the new update. I have applied the update but i'm at a loss here with this router. It is killing my download speed. I have Comcast 300/30 service. Right now I am getting 30-72Mb down which is nothing to what I'm paying for. I had Merlin installed and uninstalled ( reverted back to stock Asus Firmware). I do not have QOS enabled. I have changed the cable ( cat6A ). I don't know what the issue is and i'm at the point I might return this router.

When I plug up to my Arris SB6190 I have 300-380Mb download speed. My upload speed has never been an issue.

Probably a badly designed CMS which doesn't let them put a file under all categories by default.

Thanks for the notification. My router did not find the new update. I have applied the update but i'm at a loss here with this router. It is killing my download speed. I have Comcast 300/30 service. Right now I am getting 30-72Mb down which is nothing to what I'm paying for. I had Merlin installed and uninstalled ( reverted back to stock Asus Firmware). I do not have QOS enabled. I have changed the cable ( cat6A ). I don't know what the issue is and i'm at the point I might return this router.

When I plug up to my Arris SB6190 I have 300-380Mb download speed. My upload speed has never been an issue.

Is NAT hardware acceleration enabled?

Still in BETA phase for over a year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

That's not the same thing as "no MU-MIMO" at all.

The problem here is Broadcom, not Asus. They apparently screwed up with MU-MIMO on the BCM4366. Nothing Asus can do about it... Sure, Asus could remove the Beta label from the UI. You would still get the exact same result as every other Broadcom-based router from other manufacturers: MU-MIMO doesn't work properly.

It's not something Asus can fix. And it's what happens when people buy hardware that promises hardware-level features that will only become available in the future: if there's a hardware-level bug that prevents that feature from ever being enabled, then there's nothing the manufacturer can do at the software level.

People need to stop buying products based on future expectations, and buy based on what the product can do today. Vaporware has existed for as long as technology has...

The problem here is Broadcom, not Asus. They apparently screwed up with MU-MIMO on the BCM4366. Nothing Asus can do about it... Sure, Asus could remove the Beta label from the UI. You would still get the exact same result as every other Broadcom-based router from other manufacturers: MU-MIMO doesn't work properly.

It's not something Asus can fix. And it's what happens when people buy hardware that promises hardware-level features that will only become available in the future: if there's a hardware-level bug that prevents that feature from ever being enabled, then there's nothing the manufacturer can do at the software level.

People need to stop buying products based on future expectations, and buy based on what the product can do today. Vaporware has existed for as long as technology has...

Totally understand. If that's the case they need to remove it from the box and item description. Routers with Broadcom chips have been false advertising MU-MUMO for the last 3 years. Maybe they should take notes from Qualcomm. That's why all my Asus routers are boxed up and the X4S is beasting in my Mancave.

This build still doesn't fix the IPv6 issues when in Bridge mode.

It will allow you to use public IPv6 for a little while, but eventually the address assignment is lost. When the public address assignment is lost the OS falls back into Teredo mode. Eventually that stops functioning too. Then many hours later the public IPv6 assignment is regained and the process starts all over again.

As best I can tell Router mode doesn't have this bug, it appears exclusive to Bridge mode. I have used the Feedback function to tell Asus it was broken in the previous build and this build.

The terrible thing is that this is a regression. Some of the very first firmware releases didn't have this issue. Of course those early builds have crashing issues. One of the drivers in bridge mode would lose its marbles and stop recognizing it was connected or even caused a hard reset.

I'm not even sure the crash issues are fully worked out. The previous build still had a bug where the bridge would crash after roughly 60 days of non-stop use. Like clockwork that bug. I've reported that via the feedback mechanism as well.

Unfortunately when these issues fail to get fixed despite reporting them, it just gives a very negative opinion of the entire development process. Crashes and TCP/IP stack issues should be priority bugs.

Bug fixed
- Fixed NAT issue caused by UPnP media server.
Bought a new AC3100 on Dec 22 and it came out of the box with this already installed. I guess they RTM before they push to the update servers.

I wonder if this fixes the problems I was seeing on my old N66 with multiple PS4 connections causing them all to periodically lose connection. I haven't had any problems yet with the AC3100 so fingers crossed. Can't test it on the N66 since my NVRAM turned into VRAM :/

Ok odd issue i had with fw 3941 is there and seems worse with the 4180 fw. This time I could see 2 of my 3 repeaters fine but the 3rd one no dice. I was able to see the internet this time but throughput was slow. The 88's work great as repeaters I just really wanted to get rid of my 87u as the parent ap and leverage the power of the 88u as an ap. Rebooted all routers and nothing will make the one router connect. Maybe next fw update.

"Interesting issue with fw3941. First off another difference between an ASUS AC3100 and an 88u is there is no repeater function in the AC3100 firmware. I ordered 2 88u's was sent 2 AC3100s instead. Wouldn't work with repeaters will explain below.

Finally received the 88u's set them up and they had a similar issue. Swapped out 87u with both AC3100 and 88u once I reboot the repeaters there are 2 - 66u's 1 68u I get long time to connect and tells me no internet. If I hardwire into the repeater it has internet and I can see all the repeaters and get to the login pages. Just no wireless with internet. Right now using the 88u as a repeater an expensive repeater. Least that can be done with the 88u.

The funny thing is I have an 88u and a 66u at home setup the same way with very little issue. Not sure if issue is because there are 3 repeaters. I even tried to manually setup the repeater and when I go through setup it reboots and would loop back to the setup page. All sorts of factory resets just refuses to work connect to the 88u router. if I put the 87u back as the main works flawless."

Thanks for the info about the lack of MU-MIMO support; too bad it is bad news.
I paid extra for the RT-AC5300 and one of the reasons was MU-MIMO support.
If the RT-AC5300 did not have such great wifi performance (and built in vulnerability protection), I would seriously consider filing a complaint with the FTC about false advertising of MU-MIMO support that you're saying will never (fully) materialize due to hardware-level issues.
Luckily my 3 Linksys WUSB6100M MU-MIMO USB adapters have great speed, small form factor (very important for our tablets) and are rock solid so I would get them even if I knew the Asus could not support MU-MIMO.

I am also disappointed with Smart Connect (on the RT-AC5300, although I am sure it is not Asus' fault but more likely a Broadcomm issue); one of my Roku has been having more issues lately connecting. It is odd, because the other 4 Rokus and Samsung TV conectivity in our house have been fine with SmartConnect for a while after some major headaches lately. One of the Rokus has been particularly stubborn (major headache) to get connected to the wifi network at times when SmartConnect is enabled. Turning SmartConnect on the Asus off IMMEDIATELY resolved the issue.
Now only 3 devices are connected to 5 GHz. Another device - my Samsung smart phone - used to connect to 5 GHz when SmarConnect was enabled; now it is connected to 2.4 GHz.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!