What's new

AC88U with 384.15 fw - alexa issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mekabe remain

Regular Contributor
Hi,

I have a AC88U and I am using AsusWrt-Merlin for the last 2 years.
My Alexa integration was working fine. But I used it rarely.

Yesterday I realized that it is not working.
I disabled the skill and re-enabled, activating and registering both on router and Alexa skill.

My router is seen on Alexa app as "wireless router" and when I click , it searches for my devices.
Then it gives an error :
"Some Alexa devices are hidden. Alexa can't control Wi-Fi for all Alexa enabled devices."

There is also a "continue" button but it can't be clicked.
"Your devices" list is empty within that skill.

When I ask to Alexa "ask my router how many devices are online" , it replies:
"your UNKNOWN didn't show me the client list"

is this because of a change in Merlin code ?
is Alexa support enabled in Merlin ?

Btw, I also have a Lyra connected to my Router using AiMesh.
It uses original Asus firmware. Would that cause a problem for Alexa skill ?
And , is there a Merlin firmware for Lyra ?

T
Hi,

I have a AC88U and I am using AsusWrt-Merlin for the last 2 years.
My Alexa integration was working fine. But I used it rarely.

Yesterday I realized that it is not working.
I disabled the skill and re-enabled, activating and registering both on router and Alexa skill.

My router is seen on Alexa app as "wireless router" and when I click , it searches for my devices.
Then it gives an error :
"Some Alexa devices are hidden. Alexa can't control Wi-Fi for all Alexa enabled devices."

There is also a "continue" button but it can't be clicked.
"Your devices" list is empty within that skill.

When I ask to Alexa "ask my router how many devices are online" , it replies:
"your UNKNOWN didn't show me the client list"

is this because of a change in Merlin code ?
is Alexa support enabled in Merlin ?

Btw, I also have a Lyra connected to my Router using AiMesh.
It uses original Asus firmware. Would that cause a problem for Alexa skill ?
And , is there a Merlin firmware for Lyra ?
This is probably a dumb question but here goes have you tried firstly a simple reset failing that a hard reset

@mekabe remain, to do a reset and then restoring a backup negates doing the reset in the first place.

Every once in a while (and at two years, you had a good run), a full reset + fresh install is just needed for things to work optimally. ;)

ok. in any case, let me know how to make a "simple reset" ?

and then, I might consider doing a hard reset , but just to understand if it solves or not.
I need to restore in any case. Because I have about 45 devices with reserved IP addresses on DHCP.
I need to keep this config.

ok. in any case, let me know how to make a "simple reset" ?

and then, I might consider doing a hard reset , but just to understand if it solves or not.
I need to restore in any case. Because I have about 45 devices with reserved IP addresses on DHCP.
I need to keep this config.
Sorry I should have explained myself a little more by a simple reset I mean either click on reset on your gui or just turn your power of and on again either by the button on the back of the router or by the power socket

thanks.

I've already reset my router.
But I don't prefer hard reset. I don't believe such problem should occur because of not wiping the configuration.
there should be a better troubleshooting method.

any extended logs ?

@mekabe remain, no need to 'believe', but if you've been working on this issue since last Friday, a full reset may have provided a solution by now. :)

The fact that a router needs to be reset to perform in a good/known state is a given. Particularly after flashing and possibly experimenting with settings for the past two years.

I hope you find a way to fix the issue as you want. But if you don't, the link(s) in my signature below may help. :)

thanks. I understand you are trying to help.
But you don't see the problem : I have about 45 devices with static Ip reservations on the router.
I don't want to enter all these one by one after a config reset.

And I don'T see any links in your signature.

Btw, I removed all related configuration on the router and Amazon Alexa settings.
Then I linked the account back.
It finds the router. But then it can not get the connected devices list from router.
Alexa says "your unknown didn't show me the client list".

I suspect the Lyra configuration. My AC88U is in a AiMesh with Lyra.
Maybe this scenario is not compatible with Alexa integration.
I wish I could get some official answer...

Last edited:
I've thought this over and over. And finally decided to give up. I won't use the Alexa function.
Because keeping my current config is more important to me.
And I don't believe resetting my config will solve the issue.

There's no proof that Alexa is working fine with current firmware. I guess this is not a widely used feature, so nobody could jump in and tell that it works for the recent firmware. And also nobody can jump in and tell that my Lyra config would not spoil anything in Alxea integration.

Then, resetting my configuration would be "may be" useless.
why should I ?

Great call on dropping Alexa.

Turning the next corner could be a mistake too, but we should also have an eternal hope that it may not be either. :)

I'd like to inform that my Asus Router Alexa skill is back to normal.
I didn't change anything. (no reset, no config change nothing)
that is weird.

I'm happy that I didn't reset to factory settings. It is a weird Asus implementation and not stable...