What's new

AC88U Xbox live disconnecting

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jordan

Occasional Visitor
Hello everyone! I’ve been having some issues with my Xbox one disconnecting from Xbox live on the 5ghz channel. I’m using the Asus AC88U router, and I’ve tried stock firmware and Merlin. Has anyone found a fix for it yet? I’ve used multiple different channels, reset my Xbox, etc. but I haven’t had any luck with anything. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Thanks!

Have you ticked the Xbox compatibility option under the Wireless settings.
I think it is supposed to apply to the 360 only but you never know.
Also disable airtime fairness and MIMU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you ticked the Xbox compatibility option under the Wireless settings.
I think it is supposed to apply to the 360 only but you never know.
Also disable airtime fairness and MIMU.

I’ve tried the Xbox compatibility option, and that didn’t work. But I will have to try the airtime fairness and MIMU. If you don’t mind me asking, what do those do? I’m just trying to make some sense out of this. Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.

Airtime fairness is supposed to prevent the slowest Wi-fi client on your network from dragging everything else down to it’s level, but it causes issues with many Wi-fi implementations.
MIMO is multi input/output - allows multiple streams between clients (so doubling/tripling etc bandwidth). Similarly also normally works but can cause issues.

Most of the options in the lower half of the Wireless Professional tab are with trying, these 2 are just the most common. The two Beamforming ones would also be worth a toggle.

turn off airtime fairness and disable that xbox optimised option its for xbox 360 only since it disables a crc check.
mu-mimo is multiple user in put out put, multiple users can share wifi with out interuption, the router or ap does not have to stop transmiting to one devicw to serve another, it can serve multiple devices simulatiously, all devices have to support mu-mimo and its a minimum of two devices for it to work.

Try single mode N or Mixed N/AC, manual channel 48, Auto channel width and WPA2 and AES only on 5Ghz.

If this doesn't work or other suggestions don't, you might get into Power Line adapters for more LAN wired support or find you a 5Ghz wireless bridge to LAN cable connect the xbox too.

Airtime fairness is supposed to prevent the slowest Wi-fi client on your network from dragging everything else down to it’s level, but it causes issues with many Wi-fi implementations.
MIMO is multi input/output - allows multiple streams between clients (so doubling/tripling etc bandwidth). Similarly also normally works but can cause issues.

Most of the options in the lower half of the Wireless Professional tab are with trying, these 2 are just the most common. The two Beamforming ones would also be worth a toggle.

I tried all of those things, and they didn't work. Do you have any other suggestions? It doesn't do it over 2.4 ghz so far, but my download speeds are so awful on 2.4 I would like to keep it on 5ghz. This is my second AC88U, and this is the same thing that the first one was doing.

I tried all of those things, and they didn't work. Do you have any other suggestions? It doesn't do it over 2.4 ghz so far, but my download speeds are so awful on 2.4 I would like to keep it on 5ghz. This is my second AC88U, and this is the same thing that the first one was doing.
Sounds like you have interference on the 5ghz possibly.

Try single mode N or Mixed N/AC, manual channel 48, Auto channel width and WPA2 and AES only on 5Ghz.

If this doesn't work or other suggestions don't, you might get into Power Line adapters for more LAN wired support or find you a 5Ghz wireless bridge to LAN cable connect the xbox too.
Sounds like you have interference on the 5ghz possibly.
It’s weird because I have an Apple AirPort Extreme that I don’t have any issues with on 5ghz. The reason why I got this router was because it supports higher speeds on wired and wireless. But for some reason on this gaming router I can’t keep an Xbox live connection to save my life.

Only device that drops from the 5ghz is the xbox-one right? Check to see if the 5ghz is set to 80mhz channel width, since that's what mine is set to also what is the signal strength.

Do you have Smart Connect enabled?

Disable Roaming Assistant in Professional 5Ghz Settings if it’s not already.
Failing that I’m out of ideas I’m afraid.
As suggested above, a bridge may be the way forward. I have one behind the TV so the Apple TV, PS3, Sky Box are all cabled into that and it has a 1300Mbps backhaul over 5Ghz to the router.

Only device that drops from the 5ghz is the xbox-one right? Check to see if the 5ghz is set to 80mhz channel width, since that's what mine is set to also what is the signal strength.
It’s set to 20/40/80, and I have full signal strength. It’s only the Xbox one that drops connection. I’ve tried multiple xbox’s, and they’ve done the same thing.

Last edited:
One last test to try. I know it's kinda risky however only running for a while or until something happens.
Try single mode N on 5Ghz, channel with 20 then 40Mhz max, manual channel something and this time disable WPA2 entirely. Test the xbox on the 5ghz radio and see if it still disconnects. Wondering if this is a problem between the console and radio or something encryption maybe. After testing, Set mixed mode on 5Ghz then re-enabled WPA and TPIK and AES, channel width 20 then 40Mhz. See if anything happens here.

With out having more diagnostic equipement and back end access to router and console, will be hard to tell who's faulting here.

One thing you can do, disable the 5Ghz radio on the asus router and connect up the Apple router and configure it as a LAN to LAN AP. Disable DHCP on it and set up a static IP address outside of the ASUS routers DHCP IP address pool. Connect it up and use it as your 5Ghz radio. I use a few routers like this on my network here and there. One is for my DISH Joey in a remote room.

It’s weird because I have an Apple AirPort Extreme that I don’t have any issues with on 5ghz. The reason why I got this router was because it supports higher speeds on wired and wireless. But for some reason on this gaming router I can’t keep an Xbox live connection to save my life.

wait important question is it a first gen xbox one or an xbox one s or the new xbox one x?
and are you in the preview program?

wait important question is it a first gen xbox one or an xbox one s or the new xbox one x?
and are you in the preview program?
I was using an Xbox one elite, now I’m using the X. Still having the same issue on both consoles, and I’m not on the preview program.

Ahhh k got changed, hmm which Merlin build are you running 382 or 380?
Disable multi user mimosa, tx bursting, airtime fairness and universal beam forwarding, see if that helps I'm tempted to to get you to play with the dimensions and rts threshold values but leave that for a bit.