What's new

access modem status through router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DFlood

New Around Here
Hello All!

I have been running the Merlin ports for awhile now, first on an AC66 that's been retired to Media Bridge mode and now on an AC3200. In both cases I have been unable to access the modem status page at 192.168.100.1 unless I hook directly to the modem which takes the rest of the home network off the net...

I understand that the 192's are supposed to stay on one side of the router and never make it out...but it would be nice...

Is there a static route I could enter into Merlin to allow me to not have to rewire every time I want to check out the modem status?

Thanks,
D.Flood

I have an ACL access control list, on my Cisco router. I can turn it on and off for access to my modem web page. Next router upgrade think about a router with ACL support. More than likely it will need to be a small business router.

I understand that the 192's are supposed to stay on one side of the router and never make it out...but it would be nice...
Not true. Private addresses like 192.168.x.y are treated no differently than public addresses by the router (so long as they are not the same as your local subnet). The issue as described by @JDB is usually a source address restriction on the modem itself.

What make/model modem do you have?

@JDB Thanks! Looks like I need to read up on some of the more advanced features like JFS.

@coxhaus I'd love to have that kind of equipment but for now I'll stick with the SurfBoard I have since it's paid for.

@ColinTaylor SB8200

I have an ACL access control list, on my Cisco router. I can turn it on and off for access to my modem web page. Next router upgrade think about a router with ACL support. More than likely it will need to be a small business router.
Given that the OP has an Asus AC3200 then he can already do that using the Network Services Filter. So in effect he already has a form of ACL it's just called something different.

Given that the OP has an Asus AC3200 then he can already do that using the Network Services Filter. So in effect he already has a form of ACL it's just called something different.

Please explain Network Services Filter? It does not sound the same as an ACL.

Please explain Network Services Filter? It does not sound the same as an ACL.
It's not the same as an ACL but in this specific scenario the effect is the same. It can be used to block access to the modem from the LAN.

NSF is a firewall filter that blocks or allows traffic as is passes from the LAN to the WAN. Optionally you can specify whether the source is a single IP address, a range or the entire LAN. So by specifying the destination address as that of the modem's admin interface you can control access to it in a similar way to an ACL. The main difference would be that an ACL controls access from the LAN whereas the NSF controls access to the WAN.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!