What's new

Access Point Help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Redx508

New Around Here
I am looking for a AP for my network nothing overkill
Network map is Modem>DIR-655>Planing on getting a WD My Net Switch>AP

So what should I be looking for? If i use a Router as a AP will the LAN ports also work for wired devices or just Wifi

I am looking for a AP for my network nothing overkill
Network map is Modem>DIR-655>Planing on getting a WD My Net Switch>AP

So what should I be looking for? If i use a Router as a AP will the LAN ports also work for wired devices or just Wifi

Yes, the LAN ports will work too.

What should you look for? For converting a router in to an access point, take a look at linksys e series or ea series. Here's why......
Linksys routers have a feature called "bridge mode". If you need to do any port forwarding to clients connected to the AP, this is important!

The traditional LAN to LAN cascade router conversion that most people use when converting a router to an AP does not allow port forwarding to ap connected clients such as Xboxs, computers, etc.

Yes, the LAN ports will work too.

What should you look for? For converting a router in to an access point, take a look at linksys e series or ea series. Here's why......
Linksys routers have a feature called "bridge mode". If you need to do any port forwarding to clients connected to the AP, this is important!

The traditional LAN to LAN cascade router conversion that most people use when converting a router to an AP does not allow port forwarding to ap connected clients such as Xboxs, computers, etc.
I'm not sure the above is totally correct. I fully agree that cascaded routers - where the added router's WAN port is used- creates a mess because of NATing at layer 3. Not advised to cascade routers in a home setting.

But a WiFi access point (AP), including a WiFi router re-purposed (reconfigured) to be an AP, does no layer 3 things at all such as NAT or port forwarding, etc. The ethernet WAN port is unused on a re-purposed WiFi router-as-AP. Think of an AP as a layer 2 bridge, not a layer 3 bridge. At layer 2, it just changes the medium for IP packets from 802.11 wireless/WiFi to Ethernet 802.3.

A WiFi client bridge is essentially the reverse of a WiFi AP. A client bridge is a client in a WiFi network - as is a laptop PC. It associates to a WiFi AP- be that an AP per se, or be that the AP within a WiFi router. Once associated, a WiFi client bridge then exchanges packets between WiFi and devices connected to the bridge via Ethernet 802.3. Some bridges have a built-in switch for multiple devices, and of course, such a bridge can connect to a switch and cabling.

Last edited:
I have the DIR655 in my bedroom but the Wifi does not reach the living room its about 4 walls So i think the AP is the way to go. So if i use a router for the AP the LAN will work but i should not use them?

I have the DIR655 in my bedroom but the Wifi does not reach the living room its about 4 walls So i think the AP is the way to go. So if i use a router for the AP the LAN will work but i should not use them?

This info is helpful, can you clarify what your goal is? Some of these Q's are a little redundant, just trying to drill down on your needs.

- Is it to add a switch and increase the capacity for wired clients in the bedroom area, or an area (that may or may not be the living room) that you can connect via Ethernet directly to the bedroom?

- are you trying to increase overall wifi usability/coverage in the home by connecting another AP via Ethernet (and reusing the main SSID on another channel or alternately, give it a different SSID)?

- are you trying to connect a small area/cluster of hardwired devices in the living room or elsewhere potentially by using a wifi bridge, bridging your main AP's wifi and then letting that units switch ports all connect back to your main bedroom AP?

- the devices in the living room that need connectivity aren't devices that stay put physically and/or don't have an Ethernet connection?

This info is helpful, can you clarify what your goal is? Some of these Q's are a little redundant, just trying to drill down on your needs.

- Is it to add a switch and increase the capacity for wired clients in the bedroom area, or an area (that may or may not be the living room) that you can connect via Ethernet directly to the bedroom?

- are you trying to increase overall wifi usability/coverage in the home by connecting another AP via Ethernet (and reusing the main SSID on another channel or alternately, give it a different SSID)?

- are you trying to connect a small area/cluster of hardwired devices in the living room or elsewhere potentially by using a wifi bridge, bridging your main AP's wifi and then letting that units switch ports all connect back to your main bedroom AP?

- the devices in the living room that need connectivity aren't devices that stay put physically and/or don't have an Ethernet connection?

ok I want to increase wifi coverage to the living room and if possible also use the LAN ports on the router (AP) Just in case i need them.

And will add a switch like the Mynet to the DIR-655

ok I want to increase wifi coverage to the living room and if possible also use the LAN ports on the router (AP) Just in case i need them.

Are you able to wire a new AP directly to your old one?

Why do you need the switch? Did you run out of Ethernet ports on your main router?

Are you able to wire a new AP directly to your old one?

Why do you need the switch? Did you run out of Ethernet ports on your main router?

Yes i can add a wire to the main router and yes i need more ports

For the AP i am looking at buying a Linksys E2000 and for the switch a TEG-S80g or a my net switch. Will this work?

Do you have an ethernet link from the DIR-655/ switch to the living room?

If so, just hook it up to one of the LAN ports on the router (AP) and disable the DHCP server function. The rest of the LAN ports can be used for other devices since they (the LAN ports) are all part of a dumb switch in most consumer routers.

One way to look at it is that the router basically becomes an access point (we can ignore the WAN port since it's unused here) where the access point is connected to a 5 port switch (leaving 4 unused ports). That access point and 5 port switch are enclosed in a single box and the 4 unused ports of the switch become the LAN ports exposed on that box.

This is how I am planing it to look

---------------------------- ethernet
DIR655(wifi on)>>>Switch>>>>>>>>>AP(E2000 For more wifi coverage/wired devices )
^ ^ ^
Bedroom---------Bedroom ------------- Living room

Will this work?

Last edited:
This is how I am planing it to look

---------------------------- ethernet
DIR655(wifi on)>>>Switch>>>>>>>>>AP(E2000 For more wifi coverage/wired devices )
^ ^ ^
Bedroom---------Bedroom ------------- Living room

Will this work?

Yes, it will work. You just need to follow the LAN-to-LAN cascade procedure in link below. Again, the only thing that wouldn't work is if you have to forward ports from your primary router to a client connected to the E2000. Because unfortunately, I don't think the E2000 supports bridge mode. The E2500 supports bridge mode, however.

If you're not connecting an xbox or computer for a minecraft server or something similar that may need port forwarding, you'll be fine with the E2000 and LAN-to-LAN cascade. You will be able to connect clients to the E2000's LAN ports as well as use the E2000 wireless and still be on the same subnet for file sharing etc...

http://kb.linksys.com/Linksys/ukp.aspx?pid=80&vw=1&articleid=3733

The link below shows you how to configure a linksys router for "bridge mode" which is best. The list doesn't show the E2500 but it does, in fact, support bridge mode.

http://kb.linksys.com/Linksys/ukp.aspx?pid=80&vw=1&articleid=24583

I'm not sure the above is totally correct. I fully agree that cascaded routers - where the added router's WAN port is used- creates a mess because of NATing at layer 3. Not advised to cascade routers in a home setting.

But a WiFi access point (AP), including a WiFi router re-purposed (reconfigured) to be an AP, does no layer 3 things at all such as NAT or port forwarding, etc. The ethernet WAN port is unused on a re-purposed WiFi router-as-AP. Think of an AP as a layer 2 bridge, not a layer 3 bridge. At layer 2, it just changes the medium for IP packets from 802.11 wireless/WiFi to Ethernet 802.3.

A WiFi client bridge is essentially the reverse of a WiFi AP. A client bridge is a client in a WiFi network - as is a laptop PC. It associates to a WiFi AP- be that an AP per se, or be that the AP within a WiFi router. Once associated, a WiFi client bridge then exchanges packets between WiFi and devices connected to the bridge via Ethernet 802.3. Some bridges have a built-in switch for multiple devices, and of course, such a bridge can connect to a switch and cabling.

Who said anything about a "client bridge"? I didn't. ;) You are confusing client bridge with "bridge mode". I tried to explain it to you in a different thread, but let me try again.

Linksys has added a wonderful new feature to most of the newer routers (within the last 2 or 3 years). It's called "bridge mode". It has nothing to do with client bridge. The connection is by wire.

Maybe if you use a newer linksys router that supports "bridge mode", you will understand what I'm talking about. I will post the link for the instructions so hopefully that will help you understand what I'm talking about and possibly prevent you from questioning my posts on the matter. ;) (just kiddin')

If you need to test for yourself, then feel free. Try to forward a port to client connected to the secondary router that has been cascaded LAN-to-LAN. It doesn't work.....right? Of course not.
Ok, now get yourself a newer linksys router that supports "bridge mode". Try to forward a port to a client connected to the secondary linnksys router in bridge mode. It works. Important stuff if you need to do any port forwarding to a client connected to the access point (in bridge mode).

Yes, it will work. You just need to follow the LAN-to-LAN cascade procedure in link below. Again, the only thing that wouldn't work is if you have to forward ports from your primary router to a client connected to the E2000. Because unfortunately, I don't think the E2000 supports bridge mode. The E2500 supports bridge mode, however.

If you're not connecting an xbox or computer for a minecraft server or something similar that may need port forwarding, you'll be fine with the E2000 and LAN-to-LAN cascade. You will be able to connect clients to the E2000's LAN ports as well as use the E2000 wireless and still be on the same subnet for file sharing etc...

http://kb.linksys.com/Linksys/ukp.aspx?pid=80&vw=1&articleid=3733

The link below shows you how to configure a linksys router for "bridge mode" which is best. The list doesn't show the E2500 but it does, in fact, support bridge mode.

So the E2500 in bridge mode will have UPNP to play online on a ps3?

So the E2500 in bridge mode will have UPNP to play online on a ps3?

If you connect your PS3 to the E2500 in bridge mode, you won't even know you're connected to the E2500. It will be as if you are connected to your primary router. But to answer your question, yes, UPnP will work fine (as long as your primary router supports UPnP).

To further explain the advantages of "bridge mode" over the LAN-to_LAN cascade, see the last post by GV-Expert in link below.

http://community.linksys.com/t5/Wireless-Routers/e2500-in-bridge-mode-new-setting/td-p/459661

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!