What's new

Access point issues w Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

arkman

New Around Here
Hello all,

First post here, though I've been reading and searching here for a while now.

I need help on an issue which I hope I can describe clearly. My desired setup is:
  • Spectrum/Charter cable modem connected to Asus RT-AC68U (in past life a TMobile AC-1900) now running Merlin 380.68_4. The cable modem and router are in the basement, and all is good as far as this arrangement is concerned.
  • I want to connect two wired access points (both are Asus RT-AC68U with Merlin, both formerly TMo AC-1900) to serve two different ends of the house on two different floors
  • When I set up one of the RT-AC68U in AP mode, and connect it to the Cat5 cable running between one of the LAN ports in router in basement and the AP's WAN port (I have also tried plugging it into the LAN port on the AP), I can't seem to get connected to the internet.
    • On the AP, I have tried setting up a fixed IP outside the DHCP range (I used 192.168.1.3 and my router's DHCP address range is .100 to .254) and also let it be dynamically assigned by the router - with no change
  • My end goal (assuming I can get this to work) is to use the two APs not just as wireless access points to extend my wireless network around the house, but also use the available wired connections from the LAN ports on the APs to connect printers and other devices (e.g. smart home hub, etc.).
  • As an FYI, I was previously using older Asus RT-N66U routers running DD-WRT. One was used as a router, and the other two as APs. I've had this arrangement in place for over two years now, with no issues.
  • Up to this point, I have taken out the N66U router running DDWRT and substituted it with the AC68U router running Merlin with no issues. The two old N66Us in AP mode and running DDWRT remain connected, and are wired to the new router with no issues.
  • It is when I substitute one of the access point N66U w DDWRT with an AC68U w Merlin that I get connectivity issues, and this is where I seek the forum's help.
What might I be doing wrong? Are there specific setup or config instructions I need to follow to set up two APs, similar to what I have done in the past? I had no trouble setting up the two APs with DDWRT in the past, and I thought with Merlin, it would be even more straightforward.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks much!!

Do you see the AP grab a DHCP address on the router when you have the cable connected to the WAN port on the AP?

Do you see the AP grab a DHCP address on the router when you have the cable connected to the WAN port on the AP?
I did not. In fact, as I think of it, the only time I saw it as a client on the router's info screen was when I had assigned a fixed IP address.

That's odd, maybe factory reset the AP and set it up again. Have you tried a different network cable as well?

When I set up one of the RT-AC68U in AP mode, and connect it to the Cat5 cable running between one of the LAN ports in router in basement and the AP's WAN port (I have also tried plugging it into the LAN port on the AP), I can't seem to get connected to the internet.
Are you sure that the cables are CAT5 - not CAT 5e? Some routers have troubles to connect via CAT5 cables.
This would expain why the N66U worked and the AC68U not... :rolleyes:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!