What's new

Access Point with temporary Guest password?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

fielm

New Around Here
Is it possible to set my RT-AC66 that is running as an Access Point to have a Guest password so temporary guests don't have my real password but can use the wifi for an hour?

I tried to enable guest in the GUI and can WIFI connect, but I just see the Asus sending UDP packets from/to port 9999 on 255.255.255.255 on my local network. I don't know what that is doing.

The guest would need access to the local network to be issued a DHCP address and have their packets routed to/from the internet over my real router (a linux server) . Is this possible?

If not, what do the guest options do in Access Point mode?

Is it possible to set my RT-AC66 that is running as an Access Point to have a Guest password so temporary guests don't have my real password but can use the wifi for an hour?
On the Guest Network page do you have the "Time Remaining" option?

Bear in mind that in Access Point mode the Asus can't isolate guests from your intranet, that would have to be done by whatever router you are using.

I tried setting a Guest password (no time limit), but I couldn't get a dhcp address on my iPad. I assumed the Asus wasn't letting the guest access the intranet (connected on a LAN port of the ASUS) but I don't know how to enable that.

Try pinging the IP address of a) your DHCP server, and b) any other client on your LAN.

I reboot everything an it seems to work now. The Flags in System Log Wireless Log are AUG. I wonder why Unauthenticated when I set wpa2 password. I also wonder what the Asus is sending on UDP Port 9999, but I will search some more for that thanks.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!