What's new

Access Point

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jimx7

New Around Here
Thanks for the invite.
Newbie question
Just bought a NVR low end camera system and where the NVR is i can not get to my router.
Can someone suggest either a powerline or access point that can be plugged into the NVR.
My router is a Linksys EA 7300
Thanks

Thanks for the invite.
Newbie question
Just bought a NVR low end camera system and where the NVR is i can not get to my router.
Can someone suggest either a powerline or access point that can be plugged into the NVR.
My router is a Linksys EA 7300
Thanks

PowerLine may work.

A wired Access Point won't work.

A wireless Repeater/Extender may work, but it will share its wireless backhaul with its wireless clients, if any.

A wireless Media Bridge may work... it will dedicate its WiFi to the wireless backhaul (stronger) and will only connect wired clients.

You could look around for a spare/used router that supports repeater and media bridge modes and see how you NVR likes it.

Or go shopping. If your network lacks other coverage, you might want to step back and consider the bigger picture since adding PowerLine, repeaters/extenders, or bridges can be less robust than adding wired Access Points or switching to a wireless mesh system.

OE

@Jimx7 - Welcome to SNB. If at all possible, you really want to hard-wire the NVR for max reliability. If you can't do ethernet (perhaps inside some surface raceway?), then how about MoCa over TV coax? Also, avoid powerline adapters; operational certainty is too low due to electrical circuitry being a poor network medium (they may work, they may not, they may start out working, then degrade at random, or all at once, or only when you run the dishwasher, etc.) -- just not a good long term solution.

If you absolutely cannot hard-wire, then you'll want a wireless client bridge, which acts as a wireless client radio for whatever you wire to it. As @OzarkEdge noted, a client bridge is not an access point, nor is it a repeater, nor would I use either for this purpose; ideally, you want the NVR to have an exclusive uplink.

For a hardware choice, for simple/cheap, you could use an omni-directional, multi-purpose product, like this $55 Asus RP-AC55 running in Media Bridge mode, connected to your router's wifi. Alternatively, if you have enough free 5Ghz airspace, you might also consider a directional, point-to-point product, but it's unlikely you'll need that much dedicated bandwidth for just two cameras, so something like that Asus ought to suffice.

MOCA or HomePLugs are the right choice here if one cannot run a CAT5 over from the NVR to the Router...

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!