What's new

Accessing internal client GUI with HTTPS Authentication

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rodorr

New Around Here
The router I am using is an Asus RT-AC68U and I am using Merlin. I am currently accessing my router remotely using just HTTP and via the Asus DDNS service. I access my router via a browser using a url such as r#####.asuscomm.com:8080 and that works fine. I have set up port forwarding to access an internal web client which is at 192.168.1.166. I have set the port forwarding for this at port 8001. So when I am remote I use the url r#####.asuscomm.com:8001 and I am forwarded to the appropriate client GUI. I would like to set my router access to HTTPS authentication. When I set it to HTTPS, I can access the router by using https://ro####.asuscomm.com:8443 and that works fine, but I can't access my internal web client any longer. My question is how can I now access the web client that I had port forwarded to port 8001? Is there a way to access it via a different url configuration or do I need to set up a different port forwarding scheme? Any help would be appreciated.

My question is how can I now access the web client that I had port forwarded to port 8001? Is there a way to access it via a different url configuration or do I need to set up a different port forwarding scheme?

Accessing 192.168.1.166 with HTTP should still be working as before. If you want to access it with HTTPS then the "internal web client" needs to be running an HTTPS server as well as its HTTP server.

Accessing 192.168.1.166 with HTTP should still be working as before. If you want to access it with HTTPS then the "internal web client" needs to be running an HTTPS server as well as its HTTP server.
I swear that I tried to access my internal web gui after setting it to HTTPS and it didn't work, but since you said it should work, I tried it again and it does indeed work so that problem is fixed. The device I am accessing via 192.168.1.166 doesn't have the option of access via an HTTPS server so that negates that possibility. I guess i will leave it at HTTPS for router access and HTTP for the access to my device's internal web gui. Thanks for your response!!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!