What's new

Accessing LAN using VPN Connect App (iPhone)?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nico_ar

Occasional Visitor
Hi
I am using OPEN VPN Connect App to remotely access my router (VPN Server), over my iPhone. Unfortunatelly I cannot access any device connected to the LAN. The goal is to stream over the internet from a LAN connected media server. The media server can stream just to the LAN connected clients. Is there a possibility to solve the problem? To route the VPN Subnet 10.8.0.6 address to any LAN 192.168.1.xxx IP address?
TAP tunneling would be a solution, as I read, but is not supported by the iPhone.
My router is an Asus RT-AC66U, Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.382_51640
Thank you very much!

Last edited:
Check the firewall settings on the media server. Make sure it allows traffic from the 10.8.0.x network.

The router's firewall is disabled.
Don't disable the firewall on the router!

I cannot access the media server advanced settings at all. It is about a specialized device, not a regular server.
https://www.geniatech.eu/support/eyetv-netstream-4c-en/
I can't find any technical information describing what network protocols it uses, or how the app works. I suspect it is using broadcast traffic in which case it will never work over your VPN tun connection. As you said, tap would be the answer but Apple doesn't allow that.:rolleyes:

I agree with ColinTaylor....I bet it is using broadcasts for discovery and maybe some control traffic which won't work via OpenVPN on an iOS device. You would need more details from the vendor on how their application actually works at the network layers to see if there are work around options. I know since I segmented out my IoT devices, I had to bring up a Linux box (pfSense in this case) to help forward some of the broadcast traffic across segments so things would still work. Not quite the isolation story I was after, but still a huge improvement from having them all on a single segment.

For watching TV and media streams on iOS via VPN....I got around this by using Plex. I have a SageTV server which doesn't have an iOS client, and my network tuners all use broadcast for discovery. Instead of piecing together random solutions, I just gave in and installed Plex to greatly simplify things.

I agree with ColinTaylor....I bet it is using broadcasts for discovery and maybe some control traffic which won't work via OpenVPN on an iOS device. You would need more details from the vendor on how their application actually works at the network layers to see if there are work around options. I know since I segmented out my IoT devices, I had to bring up a Linux box (pfSense in this case) to help forward some of the broadcast traffic across segments so things would still work. Not quite the isolation story I was after, but still a huge improvement from having them all on a single segment.

For watching TV and media streams on iOS via VPN....I got around this by using Plex. I have a SageTV server which doesn't have an iOS client, and my network tuners all use broadcast for discovery. Instead of piecing together random solutions, I just gave in and installed Plex to greatly simplify things.
Thank you very much, Michael! I will try to contact the manufacturer about more details... Although I doubt it will give me details about the protocol used to broadcast...