What's new

Accessing modem in full bridge mode through a VPN client

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mberteotti

Occasional Visitor
I need help to configure my RT-N66U (latest Merlin 374.43 fw) to access my full bridged modem using a vpn client. RT-N66U is on 192.168.0.1 and modem is on 192.168.1.1 IP. From within lan I can access modem but from vpn (10.0.8.X) clients modem on subnet 192.168.1.X is not accessible. How can I do that?

Thanks.

Your clients on 10.0.8.X do not know how to get to the 192.168.1.X network so they will send the traffic through their default gateway.

You will have to create a static route on each client telling them that 192.168.1.X can be reached via the VPN

Thank you Colin. Unfortunately I'm not so skilled... I wonder I you could possibly help me to create it on client... I thought it was possible to configure router for this...

I thought it was possible to configure router for this...
It might be possible but I'm not an expert on VPN. Also, you haven't given any details about your VPN server or the client software.

Are you using PPTP or OpenVPN?

UPDATE:

If you're using OpenVPN you probably need something like this in the "Custom configuration" box.
push "route 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0"
and then add a static route back on the router.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!