What's new

Accessing nas when pc off

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

trebor62

New Around Here
Hi
I have just recently purchased qnapTS251+ and have set it up via the recomendations on qnap website. All was working fine, until i turn of my pc then i cant access my movies from any of my tvs, via plex. Could someone give me an idea of what i am doing wrong.
Thanks

Where are your devices getting their IP addresses, i.e. what is serving DHCP? Do you have anything else you can log into your NAS with or ping it?

Where are your devices getting their IP addresses, i.e. what is serving DHCP? Do you have anything else you can log into your NAS with or ping it?
Would my router be doing those. I have tried my ipad and my iPhone, and they say the same that my nas is not available, but as soon as i turn my windows pc back on everything can access it.

Would my router be doing those. I have tried my ipad and my iPhone, and they say the same that my nas is not available, but as soon as i turn my windows pc back on everything can access it.
Your router is supposed to be serving DHCP. I think I need a simple diagram of how the router, switch, PC and NAS are connected

5B8C1D80-4896-4F82-A664-88BCB268EA53.jpeg
Hi my router is connected to the gigabit switch via ethernet, then the nas and the pc are connected to the switch.

Thanks. That looks ok.

What is the IP address of the NAS?
What is the IP address of the PC?

For both, please provide IP address, netmask, gateway IP and DNS IP. Example
IP: 192.168.0.33
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.0.1
DNS: 192.168.0.1

PC
IP: 192.168.1.167
Netmask:
Gateway: 192.168.1.1
DNS: 192.168.1.1

NAS
IP: 192.168.1.137
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.1
DNS: 192.168.1.1 8.8.8.8

Cant see anything on pc refering to Netmask.

When the PC is off, can you reach the QNAP's admin and log in with your iPad or iPhone?

Then the problem must be in the Plex configuration. Is something running on the PC that supports Plex?

Wonder if Bonjour is coming in to play here - iTunes on Windows installs Bonjour as part of the install...

Plex does leverage it if it's there - the iPhone/iPads are bonjour clients, but limited in scope/capability compared to Macs/Windows/Airports/AppleTV's...

He didn't mention what Router/AP is in use for his network - some do a better job than others with regards to Bonjour/Avahi/multicastDNS...

OP - on your iPhone or iPad - do the QNAP apps see the NAS?

Yes i can login with my ipad
Are you using an app to access Plex from the ipad?
Can you try logging into the NAS, navigating to the web File access app and opening one of the media files to play it?