1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Actiontec ECB6200 loss / filtering?

Discussion in 'MoCA, HomePlug, HPNA' started by jea101, Nov 20, 2018.

1. jea101

jea101 Occasional Visitor

What is the insertion loss between coax in and TV/STB out?

Doe it block (filter) MOCA on the TV/STB out port?

2. krkaufman

krkaufman Regular Contributor

I don’t know the specific attenuation value but MoCA devices shouldn’t be connected off that port (TV/STB Out).

From the user manual:

LAN Connections
    Coax In Frequency Range - Extended D-band: 1125MHz ~ 1675MHz;
 Full Port Range: 5MHz ~ 2150MHz
    TV/STB Out Frequency Range - 5MHz ~ 1002MHz

I believe a diplexer is used, effectively, so the attenuation is likely 40+ dB.

3. jea101

jea101 Occasional Visitor

It appears that I wasn’t clear in what I was asking.

I want to know the signal reduction/loss (if any) for TV and cable modem signals that pass through the 6200.

Separately I want to know if the 6200 prevents MOCA from appearing at the TV out port which may cause interference with my Cisco STA1520 tuning adapters. The TV/STB out 5 to 1002 MHz range does imply that it is filtered.

4. krkaufman

krkaufman Regular Contributor

I haven't seen any specs that detail the ECB6200 losses (may require emailing Actiontec), but going with typical diplexer specs, you should expect:

~1 dB loss for pass-band frequencies
    40+ dB loss for stop-band frequencies

For the TV/STB Out port:
    * pass-band = 5-1002 MHz
    * stop-band = frequencies above 1002 MHz​

So a cable signal would see approx. 1 dB loss between the ECB6200 adapter's Coax In port and its TV/STB Out port, while MoCA signals would be hit with 40+ dB attenuation.

As for your SDV Tuning Adapter, it would ideally be connected via the TV/STB Out port of the ECB6200, owing to (1) the minimal loss for cable frequencies passing between the Coax In and TV/STB ports, and that (2) connecting the TA via this port would protect it from MoCA signals, which can be problematic for some TA models.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018