1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Actiontec WCB6200Q Extender

Discussion in 'MoCA, HomePlug, HPNA' started by tpap36, Nov 11, 2015.

1. tpap36

tpap36 New Around Here

Just received my WCB6200Q bonded 2.0 wireless extender, and do not think it's ready for primetime (sort of like the ECB6200s before the new firmware).

Specifically, on large file transfers over wifi the speed will drop from 50 MBps to zero for 2 seconds or so before climbing back up again. This makes it pretty much unsuitable for streaming. To make sure it was an issue with the WCB6200Q, I connected a separate 802.11ac AP to one of the WCB6200Q's gigabit ports. Then I connected my client to the 802.11ac AP. There was no drop in the speed of a large file transfer.

The issue looked like it might have been something to do with the buffer. But, when I called Actiontec, the tech support person flatly denied that the extender had any buffers at all, which I find VERY hard to believe. Even basic cheap switches will have buffers to handle congestion. Another clue is that the WCB6200Q comes with 128 MB of SDRAM and has QOS support.

Regardless of the root of the problem, I wouldn't recommend purchasing the extender until the above issue has been resolved.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2015