What's new

Actiontech ECB6200 -> 500Mbps ok?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

geekmiki

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I installed my two ECB6200 bonded adapters last week and from the tests I've been running with iperf I get ~500Mbps.
I live in an apartment and I have installed a MoCA filter in the main building splitter where the main coax comes in (from the street) and the cables go out to each apartment (installed the filter only for my coax of course).

I have two outlets in the apartment.
The setup looks like this:
Outlet 1->Cable modem->ECB6200->Asus RT-AC68U
Outlet 2->ECB6200->Netgear Gigabit switch

iperf test was run with wired devices (on one end to the RT68U and on the other to the Gigabit switch).

From the reviews and tests I've read, I was expecting 700-800 Mbps, but it seems that I'm stuck at 500.

Is there anything I should check ot that I can do to improve it?

Thank you in advance for your advice.

I have a pair of ECB6200 too. I live in a SFH. One ECB6200 resides in the basement. The other is on the 2nd floor. I just did a test with iperf3
sending:
[ 4] 0.00-10.00 sec 1.08 GBytes 926 Mbits/sec 0 sender
[ 4] 0.00-10.00 sec 1.08 GBytes 924 Mbits/sec receiver

receiving:
[ 4] 0.00-10.00 sec 1.09 GBytes 939 Mbits/sec 0 sender
[ 4] 0.00-10.00 sec 1.09 GBytes 936 Mbits/sec receiver

Does your Outlet1 setup have a problem? Should it be
Outlet 1->Cable modem->Asus RT-AC68U->ECB6200 ?

Does your Outlet1 setup have a problem? Should it be
Outlet 1->Cable modem->Asus RT-AC68U->ECB6200 ?

Yes, that's what I have, I probably wasn't clear in my description.
Coax from the outlet goes to the ECB6200 (Coax In port).
Coax from ECB6200 (TV/STB Out) to cable modem.
Ethernet from ECB6200 to Asus RT-AC68U (LAN port).
Ethernet from cable modem to Asus RT-AC68U (WAN port).

I guess that part is ok, since something wouldn't work if the cables weren't connected correctly.

EDIT:
I found out that I don't have a two way splitter inside my home... Instead I have two cables coming from an 8 way splitter that is outside the apartment and shared by the whole building. Meaning that each apartment has one cable from that splitter going into their home, mine has two.
Could that be the explanation for my lower bandwidth?

Last edited:
Yes, that splitter outside the home can affect things. But what's more important is that your moca network is being sent out to all your neighbors too. :eek:

I'm digging this up since I haven't really managed to solve my problem and I didn't really know where to start looking.

Here's what the Actiontec GUI reports:
upload_2017-3-7_14-55-48.png

The Phy Rate seems low. What about SNR, RX and TX power values?
Any direction I should start looking at knowing that I have two coax cables coming in to my apartment from an 8 way splitter for the whole building?

As for what Samir was mentioning, the moca network has been encrypted from day one.