What's new

Active IPv6 influences IPv4 speed test

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Nairda

Occasional Visitor
I have finally solved a problem that has been bugging me for some time, but I can't explain why my solution has any bearing on it.

I have an AC88-U connected to a Billion 8800AXL acting as just a modem. My LAN comprises a few devices connected to the router by ethernet and some by wireless on both 2.4 Ghz and 5 GHz, so a fairly typical configuration. IPv6 on the router is configured with a static WAN IP and DHCP for the LAN.

I have IPv6 connectivity on all my devices that support IPv6 and if I do an IPv4 speed test at thinkbroadband.com using any wireless connected device the single thread speed is pretty much the same as the multithread speed as you would accept.

Now, my iMac is normally connected via ethernet but if I do a wireless speed test I again get what I expect to see. However, if I try the test over ethernet the single thread speed is all over the place, sometimes it quickly rises to close to the multihread speed and then rapidly falls back to a third or a quarter of the maximum. At other times it will rarely rise above a quarter of the maximum. If I disable IPv6 on the iMac or the router single thread speed behaves normally.

All these tests were done with DHCP on IPv6, but if I change the iMac to a static IPv6 LAN address the problem goes away and I can't figure out what is so different about it.

As I said, moving to the static IP has solved the problem but I would be interested to know what is going on. I should also add that these tests were done with all the Asus "extras" turned off, ie no QoS, and none of the Trend security stuff enabled either.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!