Ad Blocker Question

• ATTENTION! You'll notice a Prefix dropdown when you create a thread. If your post applies to one of the topics listed, please use that Prefix for your post. When browsing the thread list you can use the Prefix to filter the view.
  • ATTENTION! As of November 1, 2020, you are not able to reply to threads 6 months after the thread is opened if there are more than 500 posts in the thread.
    Threads will not be locked, so posts may still be edited by their authors.
    Just start a new thread on the topic to post if you get an error message when trying to reply to a thread.

SpannMagoo

New Around Here
If I have Skynet and Diversion installed. Is Unbound needed or useful?

L&LD

Part of the Furniture

kapekohicafe

Occasional Visitor
Hi L&LD,

Do you think i still need dnscrypt if i have unbound already?

L&LD

Part of the Furniture
I can't answer that question. I have never used DNSCrypt myself. What do you 'need' it for?

If you can set up unbound with DoT, DNSCrypt is not needed. If you want encrypted DNS, you may have to choose between unbound or not.

I am comfortable running Unbound on its own (making me my own authoritative DNS resolver). DoT or DNSCrypt is not a requirement for my network, yet.

ahyrych

Occasional Visitor
Hi L&LD,

you dont need dnscrypt if you use Unbound like recursive resolver. It can’t make 'recursive queries' using encryption.

juched

Hi L&LD,

Typically you use DNSCrypt to hide your DNS lookups from your ISP others for privacy reasons. When you run unbound you are running your own resolver, meaning you don't need to use DNSCrypt to connect to yourself, as you have all your lookups locally.

Yes, unbound does reach out to authority servers to get the final details, and that doesn't support any encrypted lookup.

So, you don't use DNSCrypt as you are not speaking out to an external DNS Resolver.

L&LD

Part of the Furniture
Yes, nuances, yes. :)

MatteoPV

Regular Contributor
Excuse the question, what is the difference between Diversion and Skynet? I use Skynet, Diversion what is it for? Unbound what is it for? Sorry for the stupid questions

dave14305

Part of the Furniture
I installed Diversion, it looks great, Unbound what is it for?
Unbound is an alternative DNS resolver. It works as a recursive resolver, which means it queries all hostnames directly from the source instead of a public server like 1.1.1.1 or Google DNS.

Think of it like shopping for groceries. Most of us shop at the big local supermarket and buy everything in one store. The store collects data about your shopping habits and might sell that data to other companies. This is how you might think about using those public DNS servers.

Unbound does not use the centralized public DNS servers. It queries the individual authoritative name servers for every DNS query you make, so that no centralized server knows all your query habits. In the shopping analogy, instead of going to the supermarket, you buy directly from each food producer and buy vegetables from the original farmer. They each know what you buy from them, but they don’t know what you buy from the other producers.

MatteoPV

Regular Contributor
Unbound is an alternative DNS resolver. It works as a recursive resolver, which means it queries all hostnames directly from the source instead of a public server like 1.1.1.1 or Google DNS.

Think of it like shopping for groceries. Most of us shop at the big local supermarket and buy everything in one store. The store collects data about your shopping habits and might sell that data to other companies. This is how you might think about using those public DNS servers.

Unbound does not use the centralized public DNS servers. It queries the individual authoritative name servers for every DNS query you make, so that no centralized server knows all your query habits. In the shopping analogy, instead of going to the supermarket, you buy directly from each food producer and buy vegetables from the original farmer. They each know what you buy from them, but they don’t know what you buy from the other producers.
I installed it, it seems a good thing to me. At the beginning I had a page that told me about the CPU, memory, etc. which I no longer have. Is there an optimal configuration? I am using the basic configuration.

dave14305

Part of the Furniture
I installed it, it seems a good thing to me. At the beginning I had a page that told me about the CPU, memory, etc. which I no longer have. Is there an optimal configuration? I am using the basic configuration.
See this thread for ideas or to post specific questions about Unbound Manager.
Simpler is better.

New2This

I have changed some of my settings to this, in the unbound.conf, it was a lot more snappier

493DECC1-003B-455E-892D-2FB62D885653.jpeg

MatteoPV

Regular Contributor
See this thread for ideas or to post specific questions about Unbound Manager.
Simpler is better.yes, I read that topic. I have a question, should the DNS filter be installed?

thelonelycoder

Part of the Furniture
Excuse the question, what is the difference between Diversion and Skynet? I use Skynet, Diversion what is it for? Unbound what is it for? Sorry for the stupid questions
Skynet is an enhancement for the Routers built in Firewall while Diversion is an Ad-Blocker.

chongnt

I have changed some of my settings to this, in the unbound.conf, it was a lot more snappier

View attachment 31336
This is interesting. May I know how do you decide what number to change?
I found some optimize notes here but not sure if can be applied to our Asus.

Last edited:

MatteoPV

Regular Contributor
Thanks everyone for the answers. I installed both Diversion and Unbound, everything works fine. It even seems to me that the navigation and the router itself is faster.
Diversion and Unbound self-update like Skynet or do I need to update them via AMTM?