What's new

ad blocking

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ducky124

Regular Contributor
Just wondering what everyone's preference for ad blocking is. I am currently using diversion, but was wondering if ASUSWRT-Merlin-AdGuardHome is a better choice

I don't use network wide ad-blocking. Browser extension uBlock Origin is the best ad-blocker, if my family members want to block ads. It's the only one effective with YouTube ads and it's easy to turn it off when not needed, per website. No scripts required, router independent.

PIHOLE as an app on Linux works well.

1644161636514.png

So, I found some more lists and block even more efficiently.
1670290327358.png

Last edited:
I don't use network wide ad-blocking. Browser extension uBlock Origin is the best ad-blocker, if my family members want to block ads. It's the only one effective with YouTube ads and it's easy to turn it off when not needed, per website. No scripts required, router independent.
I need a network wide solution, you response does not answer my question.

How does this answer my question? How can I use Pihole if I am not dying Linux .
It seems you are pretty set in your ways/requirements. Me? I'm flexible. I use AdGuard Home in my OWRT router. You may find that your ASUS router won't have the power to run AdGuard Home well.
When I used my ASUS device as my router, I ran a Pi with PiHole to block ads in the network. Worked a treat.

I need a network wide solution, you response does not answer my question.

From equally ineffective DNS-based adblock solutions Pi-Hole on RPi is the best in configuration options and the fact it runs on own hardware, good for basic network monitoring as wel. AdGuard is perhaps close second in options and UI, but experimental for Asuswrt-Merlin, slower and taking valuable router resources. Diversion is the original Asuswrt-Merlin router optimized lightweight adblock with least options and basic UI, with idea to fit the limited resources. AdGuard DNS and NextDNS can do similar things with no scripts and USB sticks. Does this answer your question better?

How does this answer my question?
Your question was: "Just wondering what everyone's preference for ad blocking is."

That's a very open ended question so you will get a wide range of answers.

I myself prefer Pi-hole's running on RPi's to provide a network wide solution.

Pi-Hole on RPi
Pi-hole's running on RPi'

I think we have a quorum for PIHOLE. How you do it is your choice but, it's the most effective network wide option with versatility / monitoring capabilities.

A RPI is the cheapest option though, if you have a PC that's on 24/7 you could simply spin up a container or VM to run it and direct your DHCP server to issue the IP of the PIHOLE as your DNS server.

Just wondering what everyone's preference for ad blocking is.
Running Pi-Hole (eta: plus Unbound) on a headless Raspberry Pi for the entire network (wired and wifi devices), along with uBlock Origin and Ghostery extensions on each PC's web browser. For Pi-Hole ad block lists I run JackLul's Pihole-Updatelists script to pull the block lists from Firebog.net.

Last edited:
How does this answer my question? How can I use Pihole if I am not dying Linux .
Well to be fair you did ask; "Just wondering what everyone's preference for ad blocking is." And they gave you an answer. If you don't want to use a Raspberry Pi or Linux then one can install Pi-Hole to Docker. Plenty of options to run Docker on other devices (NAS, SoC devices, etc.) or non Linux OS's, or in VM's.

https://github.com/pi-hole/docker-pi-hole

Plus this allow individual users to decide what they want blocked. One size fits all may NOT necessarily be the best strategy.

Pi-Hole in combination with Unbound as resolver is a good combination as well. Just another idea.
Totally agree and something I ran for a while but I've since switched to having OpenDNS Family Shield as my upstream provider after my Pi-hole's for some added content blocking. Those that have teenagers will understand.

Either way it's also another layer to network security by blocking stuff you shouldn't be clicking on. Reducing the tracking / telemetry as well. Reducing your exposed footprint to the variety of API's on the internet helps prevent issues.

Teenagers are mobile with phones in their hands. They have friends with Wi-Fi. Better discuss what they are interested in, otherwise they'll learn it from other sources or find a way to get it. Building trust and mutual understanding is the best issues preventing technique. This is my experience.
Yeah, we're lucky to have a good one here. Thanks tho.

Last edited:
The only concern with Pi-Hole on RPi is the storage type - SD card. Did you have SD failures, @shabbs? I see Dual Pi-Hole in your signature.

I run a total of three RPi's at home (two for the dual DNS setup and one old one dedicated for mobile OpenVPN connections running PiVPN) and have not had an SD card fail yet. *knocks on wood*. Luckily, even if one failed, recovery is very quick - just slap another and spin up a new Pi-hole and go.

Last edited: