What's new

Ad frame creating white space

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bombay

New Around Here
The white space caused by the right ad is ridiculous. I need a wide screen monitor in order to read the forums.

Thanks for the feedback.

SmallNetBuilder is made possible by revenue from advertising and the large rectangle format is one of the most popular with advertisers.

Both SmallNetBuilder and the Forums are designed to be viewed with a 1024 px screen width. But both also have variable width and will adjust as you change browser window width.

How about placing ads in line with the forum thread, such as a second post is always an ad? I know there are VB plugins for this.

Thanks for the suggestion. But I prefer to keep the rectangle ads where they are.

I think you should tweak your page so it'll display properly on my vintage browser ;)! I run a seriously unpatched version of IE6 on Win2K at work (circa 2002) and virtually no pages load or render properly, dammit! But hey, you gotta pay the bills. I can't even load the Acid3 test page, let alone have it give me a score. Acid2 doesn't even load. Acid1 is horrible.

I also find it funny that there's regular ads from ipexpert.com advertizing 'to join the 20,000 other people in the world and get your CCIE...' WTF? CCIE is easily one of [if not THE] the hardest, most sought after certs out there. There's a reason why so few people have it. That's like running a banner ad to 'click here to get your PhD in nuclear physics'. I guess Google has to pay the bills as well. Hilarious.

I want to eventually get a CCIE, but Cisco says the candidates average 2 years study time (on top of CCNA and CCNP), and there's only a handful of places around the world that will proctor the exam (I heard it's about $10K to write, after your expenses to study and get to the location). But thanks to the advertising on SNB, looks like I'll have it by the weekend.

Sorry, bored at work today.

That's actually not a bad idea. I just don't have a place to post said article.

Perhaps you could create a section called 'user reviews and articles'. I just moved from Vista to Ubuntu (and very impressed) and I'm tempted to scribe some thoughts. I have lots of pet projects and such I want to do at home, but I'm in the middle of moving so that's on hold for a month.

That's actually not a bad idea. I just don't have a place to post said article.

I'm always looking for good articles for SmallNetBuilder and will pay for them. You can IM me with an article pitch or use the Contact Us link.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!