What's new

Adaptive Qos with VPN client - Download registers as Upload

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jack Yaz

Part of the Furniture
I'm sure I've seen this asked before, but my search-fu isn't working today.

When Adaptive QoS is enabled the download speed of the VPN client is limited to the upload speed (and shows on Bandwidth monitor as upload). Upload also shows as upload.

I have also ensured IPv6 is disabled as I recall this broke things. It is only with VPN Policy Routed traffic, all other traffic displays correctly.

I've tried a factory reset to no avail, is this just something I need to live with?

Router is RT-AC87U running 380.69

Last edited:
I'm seeing a similar inversion of download vs upload on an AC68 running 380.69. In my AC68 device, QoS is not enabled. However, the traffic graph displays packets being received by the VPN server process are shown as upload. This same inversion cascades down to the utilization bars for individual clients. I have a file server with an rsync target. When packets are being received by the server over the VPN, they show up as upload packets.

The other end of the VPN (client side) is an AC87, also running 380.69. The upload/download relationship looks normal on this router.

AC87 is VPN client. AC68 is VPN server. VPN protocol is OpenVPN.

Further testing - Traffic Analyzer displays correctly for me. So something not behaving in QoS for my situation. Disabling QoS still shows as upload, but its not then limited. However this causes problems when there's an upload.

Last edited:
This is a long term issue. I have never seen it reported correct no matter what f/w version.
I don't recall the QoS limit applying to my VPN client before though, so either something's changed or I didn't pay enough attention!

EDIT: Scratch that. I'm certain I had this working before as my VPN would hit 30MB/s, which it now only does with QoS off (due to QoS limit being applied to VPN downstream). Argh.

@tigerdog Are you able to downgrade to 380.68_4 on your routers to see if it works correctly? My wife has banned me from fiddling with the router for the rest of the holidays!

@RMerlin I think this may have started by moving to 380.69. Could this change have anything to do with it?

FIXED: traffic routing from the router itself would fail when
restarting the firewall while using an ovpn client with
policy rules in effect.

Last edited:
upload_2018-1-1_14-50-1.png

Am I right in thinking that write bytes refer to upload?

Apologies for repeating what you already posted. :oops:
Where is this info? Presumably it's part of the Adaptive QoS info (which John's fork doesn't have).
No worries!
It's on the VPN status page. I'm assuming its reported after passing through QoS, since the write bytes rises in both upload and download tests. That, or I'm misunderstanding OpenVPN stats!

Doh! :oops: I'm obviously not having a good day when it comes paying attention. I wish I could blame it on New Year celebrations, but I don't drink. :rolleyes:

Doh! :oops: I'm obviously not having a good day when it comes paying attention. I wish I could blame it on New Year celebrations, but I don't drink. :rolleyes:
Haha, I was in bed by 10 past midnight, just about stayed awake for fireworks on BBC1.

I've just discovered that an SSID -> VPN gets full speed and traffic shows the right way. Any wired traffic does not. Looking at the tc, its because guest networks dont qualify for QoS, with the rules sitting on br0 and eth0.
Code:
qdisc pfifo_fast 0: dev wl0.1 root refcnt 2 bands 3 priomap  1 2 2 2 1 2 0 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
qdisc pfifo_fast 0: dev wl0.2 root refcnt 2 bands 3 priomap  1 2 2 2 1 2 0 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
qdisc pfifo_fast 0: dev tun21 root refcnt 2 bands 3 priomap  1 2 2 2 1 2 0 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
qdisc pfifo_fast 0: dev tun11 root refcnt 2 bands 3 priomap  1 2 2 2 1 2 0 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1

Looking at the threads on this going back a couple of years (with Yorgi alone), Asus seems to have been ignoring this GUI bug so long, if it was fixable, RMerlin's work would have zapped it long ago. I suspect Asus doesn't care, but may be wrong. I use other means to test/monitor bandwidth, and only in the router when the VPN tunnels are off. I tried doubling the overall bandwidth up-down speed, but the router can tell when you try to cheat and ignores you I really like the search-fu Jack! Happy New Year Gents.

Looking at the threads on this going back a couple of years (with Yorgi alone), Asus seems to have been ignoring this GUI bug so long, if it was fixable, RMerlin's work would have zapped it long ago. I suspect Asus doesn't care, but may be wrong. I use other means to test/monitor bandwidth, and only in the router when the VPN tunnels are off. I tried doubling the overall bandwidth up-down speed, but the router can tell when you try to cheat and ignores you I really like the search-fu Jack! Happy New Year Gents.
I think it's more than a GUI bug though, as the limit set affects the VPN clients available bandwidth, so there's something fundamentally bugged in Asus' QoS implementation when used with VPN clients.

True words, Jack Yax, well said; it certainly made me batty trying to work it out. If only one could see that troublesome bit of code, or rather someone talented who can fix that bit of code Asus doesn't want to bother with; they've known about it long enough:)

@tigerdog Are you able to downgrade to 380.68_4 on your routers to see if it works correctly? My wife has banned me from fiddling with the router for the rest of the holidays!

I am very hesitant to do this now that the routers are in service. As in your home, network disruptions have very low SAQ*.

I am also wrestling with a VPN configuration challenge. When I posted, I had both routers in the same location, on two different WAN connections. Now, one is halfway across the country and worse yet, behind a double-NAT. IUntil I overcome this joyous fun, I'm not in a position to observe any VPN traffic. Sorry I'm not of more help.

*SAQ - spousal acceptance quotient