What's new

Add programs/services to the firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ttc0419

Occasional Visitor
Hi, I would like to add some programs to the merlin firmware. I guess I need to extract the .w file, add the programs and package the files again, but how can I do that?

What programs? What router?

Do you mean scripts?

You need to give more details. More than likely, it won't be compatible with what Asuswrt is using.

You need to give more details. More than likely, it won't be compatible with what Asuswrt is using.
Why it won't be compatible? Let's just assume I want to add a hello world program to the firmware and start it on boot. Do you know how can I extract the files from .w file and how to re-package a directory to a new .w file so I can flash it to my router?

You have to start with compiling your own builds.
If you have setup and can do that you also have the cross compiling tools to cross compile your own C code

You have to start with compiling your own builds.
If you have setup and can do that you also have the cross compiling tools to cross compile your own C code
Thanks for the reply, I have a cross compile environment. But what I'm trying to do is packaging the build into a .w file that my router can flash. Do you have detailed instructions for that?

No I would just add your programs to the build when building the firmware.
Alternatively just copy them to /jffs and run them from there

I don't know why it won't be compatible. But the above link will allow you to find out if it is or not.

I don't know why it won't be compatible. But the above link will allow you to find out if it is or not.
Sadly amcfwm is broken - and until @Adamm emerges from Thailand and can hopefully find time to fix ... not much point in trying a compile with that script. Others have succeeded by using RMerlin's modified script.