What's new

Add Synology router to Verizon Actiontec router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SpeedThree

Regular Contributor
On a Mac list to which I have subscribed for many years, a poster knowledgeable about routers recommended the Synology RT2600AC, noting...

A little more $$, but Synology has brought their NAS security to their [new] router lineup. And because they're (1) new in the router market, and thus (2) not a household name, you get a lot of router for the money. Among other things, you can download router "apps" (extensions) from Synology's package center, including an app that implements extended intrusion detection, in addition to their built-in security.

Is there somewhere on this site that I could find advice on what steps to take in order to set up my Actiontec M1424WR Rev I GigE (purchased from Verizon about 5 years ago) as a gateway? I am a senior, but adept at following instructions and the senior to whom friends and neighbors come for help with their Macs. I can do this, but I recognize it's not going to be easy and could use a hand.

Many thanks.

BTW, found the link on which to click in order to benefit this site when I purchase the Synology and will use it.

Thanks for supporting the site.

If you don't have to open router ports, there's no reason to worry about putting the Actiontec in bridge mode. Just connect the Synology WAN port to an Actiontec LAN port and you should be good to go.

Just make sure you connect everything to the Synology. Devices connected to the Actiontec won't be able to communicate with devices connected to the Synology.

I've been running with my ISP's DSL modem/router in series with another router for years with no problems. I have no need to open any router ports.

Thanks, Mr. Easy. I see the LAN port on the back of the Actiontec and the WAN port on the photo of the rear of the Synology router.

I think these instructions...

https://www.podfeet.com/blog/tutori...r-to-give-network-control-to-airport-extreme/

...even though they are for connecting the Actiontec with an Airport Extreme, should work with the Synology, no?

Finally, when you state - Just make sure you connect everything to the Synology, I assume you mean that once I have the connection made between the Actiontec and Synology, I would have to go to my laptop, iphone, ipad, Roku, etc,, one by one, and enter the new WiFi name and password for the Synology wifi in order to connect each of them.

Do I have that right? Thanks.

You can follow those instructions. But you can also just connect the two routers as I indicated. The Synology will automatically try to get a WAN port address from the Actiontec.

The most important thing is to make sure the two routers use different LAN addresses. If your devices are getting addresses in 192.168.1.X, for example, you DO NOT want the same thing on the Synology.

You can set the Synology to use the same SSID and password as the Actiontec, so you won't need to set up new connections on the Synology. But then you should shut off the Actiontec's Wi-Fi.

OK. You make it sound easy. Going to order the Synology and see how it goes.

As Arnold says, "I'll be back." Maybe. Let's see what unfolds.

And again, thanks.

OK. You make it sound easy. Going to order the Synology and see how it goes.

As Arnold says, "I'll be back." Maybe. Let's see what unfolds.

And again, thanks.
As a FIOS customer for 12 years, I have used a separate router plugged into the MI424WR Rev I, occasionally. No problems. But if you or your occupants are heavy gamers, or use certain VOIP(voice ) systems, there could be problems from both routers doing NAT services, a condition called 'double nat.' Hopefully this won't affect your situation. Also, you usually want to "turn DHCP off" on the secondary(synology in your case) router.

It's difficult to get rid of the fios router for several reasons. Most installs in houses use the coax port, rather than the lan port on the ONT(the white or black box where the fiber optic comes in from the street). The fios router must be connected to your coax system in order to do your TV menus & guides correctly.

If you don't have fios tv, and your install is using the lan port of the ONT, then you can use any old router. No problem. Have for years. But, first you must go into the annoying menus of the fios router and press the 'release dhcp' button,' then pull the fios router power cord. Or call verizon tech. A new router will automatically 'renew' the dhcp lease. Just in case you get rid of the fios router.

Your fios router is old tech, verizon can use it to snoop on you(but they don't), but remarkably trouble free. It's not too secure, but as you said, you will be relying on the synology for security. Should go well.

Last edited:
But if you or your occupants are heavy gamers, or use certain VOIP(voice ) systems

We are not, so that is one bullet dodged.

We have internet and phone only from Verizon; no TV, and we have an old Verizon install: coax from the ONT to the Actiontec.

Thanks for that input; much appreciated.

Great! A verizon fios router is not mandatory in your system. It won't even help them on a tech service call(I've tested). In the long run you may want to consider calling verizon tech to switch to using lan port on ONT(done by phone for free), then follow instructions as above for replacing fios router. Your phone stays directly plugged into the ONT. Great Luck!

Last edited:
Also, you usually want to "turn DHCP off" on the secondary(synology in your case) router.
If you are talking about the router's LAN DHCP server, then no. You leave it on so that it can serve addresses to all the devices, which will now be connected to it.

If you are talking about the router's LAN DHCP server, then no. You leave it on so that it can serve addresses to all the devices, which will now be connected to it.
effectively thinking about synology as AP, altho really only want one dhcp server per network. it can be either one. this post covers the instance very well:
https://superuser.com/questions/641036/can-i-chain-two-routers-together-keeping-dhcp-on-both
see also: https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/bas...onvert-a-wireless-router-into-an-access-point

Last edited:
Well, I ordered the Synology RT2600AC through the link here and it's due tomorrow.

I am hoping that the setup will be as simple as Mr. Easy's response indicates: If you don't have to open router ports, there's no reason to worry about putting the Actiontec in bridge mode. Just connect the Synology WAN port to an Actiontec LAN port and you should be good to go. Just make sure you connect everything to the Synology. Devices connected to the Actiontec won't be able to communicate with devices connected to the Synology.

When you say connect everything to the Synology, I presume you mean all of my Apple devices: iMac, iPhone, iPad, etc.?

If things to terribly wrong, our neighbor, whose WiFi we can access, has kindly allowed us to temporarily use her WiFi point to ask questions here in order to sort out any problems I may encounter.

OK, instructions were: Just connect the Synology WAN port to an Actiontec LAN port and you should be good to go.

I did this, ran the setup assistant, and it failed.

Then connected an Actiontec ethernet port to the Synology's WAN port, ran the setup assistant a second time and it worked. Shut off the Actiontec's WiFi and now I am connected to the interest via the Synology.

Problem now is how do I connect to the Synology router in order to access the settings there? When I enter http://192.168.1.1 into my browser, I get the Actiontec router.

Got to be a fix for this, but I do not know it.

Any advice??

Go look at your Synology router setup instructions. They will tell you how to connect to the admin pages.

When I set up the Synology, I set up an Admin account.

When I load the page http://router.synology.com:8000/webman/index.cgi

I get this window:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7fwj03tuyrsudsg/Login page.jpg?dl=0

I log in and have the choice of one or the other of these two windows, neither of which provides access to router settings like I find on my Actontec.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hb42m2w1yh7kzey/Screen B.jpg?dl=0

http://router.synology.com:8000/webman/index.cgi

I also did a search for "Admin" in the Synology router instructions and found no help there.

Clearly I am missing somethng/some step and would greatly appreciate it if someone would point me in the correct direction

Check "SRM Help".
Use the search box in the SRM interface, search for wireless or wifi
Click the little cluster of 4 boxes in the upper left hand corner.

Thanks again, Tim, but that didn't work. I took some screen shots of my initial installation of the new router and am almost positive my mistake was that I made bad choices. I am going to do a reset and start over.

What happens when you click the cluster of 4 boxes?

I get two icons in the main window: File Station & SRM Help.
I found the video you were so kind to add here and watched it yesterday. Why I see bears zero resemblance to what appers on that video.