What's new

Adding another AC66U_B1 into AiMesh with AC66U_B1 + AC68U Fails

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

zunfire

New Around Here
Did setup AiMesh between AC66U_B1 + AC68U in december successful, got another AC66U_B1 now and this one fails completely, refuses to be found as node no matter how I try.

Have factory reset all routers and try over and over again with different approach but same procedure on both AC66U_B1, but later one fails all the time to be found, have them physical placed next to each other.

There is one differens and the only one I can found H/W ver.:

Firmware 3.0.0.4.384_45149 on all

ASUS RT-AC68U H/W Ver.:E1 Version 3.00.4.384.45149 AiMesh router, works every test.
ASUS RT-AC66U B1 H/W Ver.:A1 Version 3.00.4.384.45149 AiMesh node, works every test.
ASUS RT-AC66U B1 H/W Ver.:B2 Version 3.00.4.384.45149 AiMesh node, wont be found as node.

Can anyone confirm AiMesh success with Ver.:B2 ??

Did setup AiMesh between AC66U_B1 + AC68U in december successful, got another AC66U_B1 now and this one fails completely, refuses to be found as node no matter how I try.

Have factory reset all routers and try over and over again with different approach but same procedure on both AC66U_B1, but later one fails all the time to be found, have them physical placed next to each other.

There is one differens and the only one I can found H/W ver.:

Firmware 3.0.0.4.384_45149 on all

ASUS RT-AC68U H/W Ver.:E1 Version 3.00.4.384.45149 AiMesh router, works every test.
ASUS RT-AC66U B1 H/W Ver.:A1 Version 3.00.4.384.45149 AiMesh node, works every test.
ASUS RT-AC66U B1 H/W Ver.:B2 Version 3.00.4.384.45149 AiMesh node, wont be found as node.

Can anyone confirm AiMesh success with Ver.:B2 ??

I have 2 RT-AC66U B1 H/W Ver.:B2 Version 3.00.4.384.45149, working fine with
one as AiMesh router and the other as AiMesh node.
If you logged into each router individually and updated the firmware to latest,
double check that the B2 is still set to AiMesh Node mode.

Bob

Thanks for the response.

Every router is factory restored (couple of times :/) and updated to 3.00.4.384.45149
But how do you mean check that B2 is still set to AiMesh node mode?

When I set any of the AC66U B1 router to AiMesh node either throw ”operation mode” option in “administration” tab or I reset it and chose AiMesh node in wizard router.asus.com it seems they end up in a factory reset state waiting for AiMesh router to find it and connect to it and configure it.

For me it seems that when you select AiMesh node the routers ends up in factor reset state waiting to be found from AiMesh router, right or wrong?

Its very odd, doing same procedure on both AC66U B1 and the later one fails all the time to be found from AC68U

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I have exactly the same issue but with a DSL-AC68U as the AIMesh Router and an RT-AC66U_B1 H/W Ver.:B2 as the AIMesh node and it's driving me nuts...

They both have the latest firmware and I have reset the DSL-AC68U once (pain to get all the settings back) and the AC66U loads of times, using loads of methods (GUI factory restore, GUI initialise, reset button, 30/30/30, WPS button method). The AC68U never finds the AC66U as an AIMesh node; the closest it's come has been to flash up a message saying that it was waiting for the AC66U to be ready...

ASUS DSL-AC68U - Firmware 3.0.0.4.384_21128 (latest available firmware)
ASUS RT-AC66U B1 H/W Ver.:B2 Version 3.00.4.384_45149

I followed the video and the online process, I've run thorugh the wizard in the node GUI to set it up as a node (many times), no joy...

Called Asus support, who could only really recommend following the online process for setting up AIMesh but suggested resetting the AIMesh router as well as the node :/. The second time they recommended pressing the reset button for five seconds on the node, leaving it to do it's thing, and then immediately searching for the node via the GUI in the router. It didn't work...

They have now advised that I open a ticket, which I've done, so will feed back if I manage to get anything useful from them.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I have exactly the same issue but with a DSL-AC68U as the AIMesh Router and an RT-AC66U_B1 H/W Ver.:B2 as the AIMesh node and it's driving me nuts...

They both have the latest firmware and I have reset the DSL-AC68U once (pain to get all the settings back) and the AC66U loads of times, using loads of methods (GUI factory restore, GUI initialise, reset button, 30/30/30, WPS button method). The AC68U never finds the AC66U as an AIMesh node; the closest it's come has been to flash up a message saying that it was waiting for the AC66U to be ready...

ASUS DSL-AC68U - Firmware 3.0.0.4.384_21128 (latest available firmware)
ASUS RT-AC66U B1 H/W Ver.:B2 Version 3.00.4.384_45149

I followed the video and the online process, I've run thorugh the wizard in the node GUI to set it up as a node (many times), no joy...

Called Asus support, who could only really recommend following the online process for setting up AIMesh but suggested resetting the AIMesh router as well as the node :/. The second time they recommended pressing the reset button for five seconds on the node, leaving it to do it's thing, and then immediately searching for the node via the GUI in the router. It didn't work...

They have now advised that I open a ticket, which I've done, so will feed back if I manage to get anything useful from them.

The same issues here too. Actually I have two pcs of ASUS RT-AC66U B1 H/W Ver.:B2 with FW 3.00.4.384.45149. One works as a router and the other one should work as AiMesh node.

AiMesh node cannot be found as a node here either. The closest so far is that I can see a “pop up window” with two mac addresses too (in router) saying that waiting the connection to be ready (the same as Dr Lorenzo).

Did you get any useful info from Asus Service so far? It think that only way is to replace the device as seems that some of those B2 versions just don’t work with Aimesh.

SOLVED. I replaced the node device (ASUS RT-AC66U B1 H/W Ver.:B2) to similar one and AiMesh started to work immediatly...so the device was totally inoperative (HW fault I believe).

Last edited:
The saga continues....

Asus came back asking me again to reset both routers and try again to search for the AIMesh Node, this time sending them the router logs afterwards. Unsurprisingly, it didn't fix the issue and I sent them the logs, as requested.

They came back a few days later asking me to yet again reset both routers and try again to search for the AIMesh Node....

Getting somewhat annoyed at the extent of their troubleshooting abilities (and also somewhat of an expert at setting up an Asus router!) I went back to Lazar, the well-intentioned Asus support guy, with Einstein's famous quote; “The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results”, and asked him to escalate the issue.

Yesterday I got an email from a different Asus support guy, based in the UK, who asked that I try resetting (again) and send all the details (again) including copy of config setting, wireless logs and router logs (again) to him, so that they "can try to have headquarters try to duplicate the issue". I duly sent him all the info and am currently waiting for a response...

I'll keep you posted, but I kind of have my doubts that there is going to be a quick fix; fingers crossed they release a patch in the next firmware update.

Well guys, this part of the forum is for WIRED routers only.
Please move your discussion to the ASUS WIRELESS router part

Hey,
Just wanted to share my experience, I had the exact same issue where a ASUS RT-AC66U B1 H/W Ver.:B2 was impossible to add as an Aimesh node to my RT-AC68U Aimesh router. Nothing worked and the node would never show on the add node screen. I went to the store where I bought it (Sweden) and since I had some time left on the warranty I was able to get a replacement from the store. The new router had the same H/W Ver B2 but the manufacturing date was 2018 and not 2017 as my older AC66U. The new one was added within minutes after unpacking so I say there was something buggy with the B1 H/W B2 manufactured in 2017.
Best Regards,
Johan

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!