What's new

Adding Dynamic DNS Support - NameCheap

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

No plan to add additional DDNS services, sorry.

Is there a specific reason why not? Because custom DDNS configuration is pretty much the only major feature that's I'm missing from the firmware.

Please refer to how DD-WRT has their DDNS section setup and then the firmware would be perfect!

Last edited:
Is there a specific reason why not? Because custom DDNS configuration is pretty much the only major feature that's I'm missing from the firmware.

Please refer to how DD-WRT has their DDNS section setup and then the firmware would be perfect!

Priorities. Developing and implementing that kind of feature takes time, which I prefer to devote to other features, otherwise I could make it a full-time job just trying to implement every single DynDNS services that gets requested (and actually, I don't understand why so many of them exist when they all do 90% the same thing, just with different names and proprietary protocols).

Also note that DD-WRT uses a completely different DDNS client than Asuswrt (inadyn instead of ez-ipupdate).

Look at either DNS-O-Matic (which can let you transparently use DDNS services not supported by the router), or installing a different DynDNS client through Optware/Entware.

Last edited:

If DD-WRT has it, then why not use DD-WRT if you're so desperate for it?

Priorities. Developing and implementing that kind of feature takes time, which I prefer to devote to other features, otherwise I could make it a full-time job just trying to implement every single DynDNS services that gets requested (and actually, I don't understand why so many of them exist when they all do 90% the same thing, just with different names and proprietary protocols).

Also note that DD-WRT uses a completely different DDNS client than Asuswrt (inadyn instead of ez-ipupdate).

Look at either DNS-O-Matic (which can let you transparently use DDNS services not supported by the router), or installing a different DynDNS client through Optware/Entware.
Thanks for the quick reply!

I understand priorities... I didn't mean implementing every single one, just opening it up to custom settings by letting users specify DYNDNS Server, User Name, Password, Host Name, and URL.

But i'll definitely look into those services you listed... thanks!

DNS-O-Matic

I use www.dnsomatic.com (from OpenDNS) with NameCheap.
Host name in this case is all.dnsomatic.com, and you can configure NameCheap settings in your DNS-O-Matic account.

My previous answer in this thread still stands.