What's new

Adding entry to routing table for interface VLAN2

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mathieu

Regular Contributor
Afternoon folks

Up until now I had never dared manipulating the routing table, leaving the necessary changes to be handled by the relevant firmwares/users scripts.

But then I came across an issue with IPTV (again).

There appears to one entry in the ISP's router table that is not captured by the router's default Movistar Triple VLAN settings.
I first thought to add that route using LAN/Route/Add Static Route but since it relates to vlan2 interface, I am not sure the IP range, addresses etc would be recognised. What's more, the choice of interfaces presented on the config tab (LAN/MAN/WAN/VPN) do not appear to be relevant to my interface 'vlan2'.

Should I go the GUI Static Route addition regardless, or should that entry be added via script? If the latter, could anyone point me towards a useful discussion?

Thanks for reading.

Afternoon folks

Up until now I had never dared manipulating the routing table, leaving the necessary changes to be handled by the relevant firmwares/users scripts.

But then I came across an issue with IPTV (again).

There appears to one entry in the ISP's router table that is not captured by the router's default Movistar Triple VLAN settings.
I first thought to add that route using LAN/Route/Add Static Route but since it relates to vlan2 interface, I am not sure the IP range, addresses etc would be recognised. What's more, the choice of interfaces presented on the config tab (LAN/MAN/WAN/VPN) do not appear to be relevant to my interface 'vlan2'.

Should I go the GUI Static Route addition regardless, or should that entry be added via script? If the latter, could anyone point me towards a useful discussion?

Thanks for reading.
can you remove "Release" tag as you don't release anything.

It is:
Destination: 10.64.0.0
Subnet Mask: 255.192.0.0
Gateway: 10.64.0.1
Flag: UG
Metric: 1
Service:2 [that would be the IPTV VLAN]

Another one, which to me looks similar, correctly appears in the ASUS's routing table. That is:
Gateway: 0.0.0.0
Flag: U
Metric: 0
Service:2

Symptoms are I get TV traffic from the router, but that traffic is somehow diminished in that the premium channels and a number of options do not show as they otherwise do when connected to ISP's router.

Thanks for watching, Colin.

Another one, which to me looks similar, correctly appears in the ASUS's routing table. That is:
Gateway: 0.0.0.0
Flag: U
Metric: 0
Service:2
Sorry, I don't recognise this "Service" field. Where are you seeing that, on System Log - Routing Table?

No no. That is how it is called in my ISP’s router. In ASUS it translates to ‘vlan2’. Or so I infer. Yes in System Log…

I wasn’t clear.

OK I understand now. It sounds like you would have to add that route through a custom script.

You could enter the command manually just to test it.
Code:
ip route add 10.64.0.0/255.192.0.0 via 10.64.0.1
or maybe this
Code:
ip route add 10.64.0.0/255.192.0.0 dev vlan2

EDIT: Thinking about it a bit more... Surely this is just duplicating the same route that already exists? Are you sure this route is required? I suspect both of those commands will be rejected.

Last edited:
Thank you Colin. I will try in the morning and report.

In the end I decided to go for a clean re-install and configuration of the router.
As much as I find the exercise tedious, it seems to have done the trick and I have recovered full IPTV functionality.
For the record, I highlight in the attached ISP router's routing table the entry that got me puzzled. That is not present in the ASUS' functioning setup. That was me freaking out...
As always, thanks to @ColinTaylor for the help.
Screenshot 2022-05-13 at 12.14.24.png