What's new

Solved Adding own router to Toob

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BreakingDad

Very Senior Member
Has anyone (UK) got Toob ISP and connected their own router to it yet?

If so, how does it work with Toob? With virgin you can just set the router to modem mode and away you go.

I want to get Toob, but have concerns about connecting the Asus to it.

It's a sagemcom cs50001 hub they use. I believe plusnet, talktalk etc use the same hub.

Last edited:
Doesn't the Toob ISP give you that information if you ask for it?

Doesn't the Toob ISP give you that information if you ask for it?
I doubt it, most isp's in uk don't like you connecting your own equipment.

I'm guessing it's a case of turning off DCHP etc and running a line off,

I would ask the install engineer, usually they don't care what's connected.

Was hoping someone here knows. It's a pretty common router it seems.

Not the best in terms of detail but there's a specific reference to Toob and Asus routers on this review.

The OCUK forums seemed to have a bit of discussion about Toob and third party routers too so it looks promising.

I must admit, your faith in install engineers is better than mine - although that may be a Virgin Media thing rather than installation engineers in general!

Not the best in terms of detail but there's a specific reference to Toob and Asus routers on this review.

The OCUK forums seemed to have a bit of discussion about Toob and third party routers too so it looks promising.

I must admit, your faith in install engineers is better than mine - although that may be a Virgin Media thing rather than installation engineers in general!
I'm sure it can be done relatively easily, however I was looking for some detail on the process.

Thank you for your comments.

Resolved: response from toob

It seems all I need to do is connect a network cable to the wall box, and take the sagemcom out of the loop entirely.
Best result I could ask for.

Hello Matt,

Thank you for your interest in toob!
Our router is not able to go into modem only mode as it does not have this capability. We install a small fibre-box on your wall which acts as the modem for our service but it is not able to be connected to wirelessly.
Previous customers have used a wired connection from the fibre-box to their own router and it has worked with no issues.

Resolved: response from toob

It seems all I need to do is connect a network cable to the wall box, and take the sagemcom out of the loop entirely.
Best result I could ask for.

Hello Matt,

Thank you for your interest in toob!
Our router is not able to go into modem only mode as it does not have this capability. We install a small fibre-box on your wall which acts as the modem for our service but it is not able to be connected to wirelessly.
Previous customers have used a wired connection from the fibre-box to their own router and it has worked with no issues.
Hi
Toob installed my circuit yesterday morning & it's now running on both (IPV4 & IPV6) cylinders. The Toob router is going back in its box - I use OPNSense to do my routing & firewalling. Getting IPV4 working was pretty quick - one gets one's V4 address using a dhcp client request. I couldn't determine from the Toob router any coherent information about how the IPV6 was configured and what one receives. I initially tried dhcp6 but didn't get a satisfactory outcome. So I set off down a rat-hole investigating the concept of a fixed IP, but that didn't work either. I then asked Toob politely by email and was firmly told they provided a working turn-key solution and couldn't help. All I wanted to know was what they delivered. Long story short (more digging & investigating) - one does need to use dhcp6 and one gets a single (!) /128 public address. The only technical information that came with the installation was a double-sided glossy on their router (buttons & lights) and a quick start guide on the fibre terminating box - an Adtran 621i XGS-PON ONT. The latter is a Passive Optical Network (PON) Optical Network Terminal (ONT) which terminates the fibre & provides a single 1Gbps ethernet (RJ45) socket.

Peter

Hi
Toob installed my circuit yesterday morning & it's now running on both (IPV4 & IPV6) cylinders. The Toob router is going back in its box - I use OPNSense to do my routing & firewalling. Getting IPV4 working was pretty quick - one gets one's V4 address using a dhcp client request. I couldn't determine from the Toob router any coherent information about how the IPV6 was configured and what one receives. I initially tried dhcp6 but didn't get a satisfactory outcome. So I set off down a rat-hole investigating the concept of a fixed IP, but that didn't work either. I then asked Toob politely by email and was firmly told they provided a working turn-key solution and couldn't help. All I wanted to know was what they delivered. Long story short (more digging & investigating) - one does need to use dhcp6 and one gets a single (!) /128 public address. The only technical information that came with the installation was a double-sided glossy on their router (buttons & lights) and a quick start guide on the fibre terminating box - an Adtran 621i XGS-PON ONT. The latter is a Passive Optical Network (PON) Optical Network Terminal (ONT) which terminates the fibre & provides a single 1Gbps ethernet (RJ45) socket.

Peter
Perfect, thanks for the headsup.

I've joined Toob too and am happily using my own router on IPv4, but no joy on getting an IPv6 connection - did you ever find a group of settings that worked?

(I also note that Toob now run CG-NAT on IPv4 addresses)

Hi
Here's a bit of an update to what I wrote in December.
When I asked toob what they'd supplied, I was told that although I'd signed up for a fixed IPv4 address, the IPv6 address would be "dynamic" and "will change on a semi-regular basis". I've just looked back at my logs, and I've had the same (/64) IPv6 address for nearly 3 months (since installation), and in that time my hardware changed so changing my MAC address didn't throw a spanner in the works.

After my original post, I investigated the status reports from the supplied toob router a bit more. From this I deduced that one gets a /64 address for the public address of your router, and one also get a /56 address to use as you wish. As I said previously, I use OPNsense (on a compact PC with 4 NICs) to do my routing and firewalling. Having enabled IPV6, all my devices (including a couple of Android phones) all get IPv6 addresses (from the toob allocation) and are quite happy talking over v4 or v6.

Peter

Thanks for the update, now I just have to work out why my router doesn't seem to talk to their IPv6 service

Tp-Link AX6000 v2 Firmware 1.1.0 Build 20211118

I've set it to Dynamic IP / Auto and tried DHCPv6 explicitly too but no sign of life, no allocated IPv6 address is shown etc

Screenshot_20230313_223006_Brave.jpg

I'm having a similar issue...

I have an AX1800 Dual Band Wi-Fi 6 Router and a Toob connection

Everything looks okay in the router settings (although I confess that I don't know what I'm looking at) but online sites that claim to test my IPv6 connection say that I don't have one?

reupload.png

The fact that addresses are showing for IPv6 seems promising? So maybe it's something to do with the LAN settings? (but the other options don't work either!)

test.png

Is anyone here with Toob and managed to get this working?#

Attachments

• ipv6.png
    ipv6.png
    123.3 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Have your client(s) got IPV6 addresses? Check using command window on Windows 7-11 - type ipconfig /all and at your active (WiFi or wired) connection. You should see one (or more) private address(es) for IPV4 - probably 192.168.xxx.xxx and on the same interface, see a public IPV6 address that start "2a0e". If you only have an IPV6 adddress that starts with "fe80" that's a link-local address and will give you a fail on the IPV6 test site.

Check to see if your router is handing out public IPV6 addresses from its /56 allocation (*1) that it should be getting from Toob.
Tip In future, best to obscure your public IPV6 address. However, it didn't respond when I pinged it. ;)

*1 Your delegated prefix will likely also start with "2a0e:cbxx" The hex digits after the "cb" may well be different from those in your /64 router address. Since they give you a /56 allocation, that gives you 256 sub-nets to allocate, each with a 64-bit address space. Your public address space has just expanded enormously - don't get lost in it!

Last edited:
Have your client(s) got IPV6 addresses? Check using command window on Windows 7-11 - type ipconfig /all and at your active (WiFi or wired) connection. You should see one (or more) private address(es) for IPV4 - probably 192.168.xxx.xxx and on the same interface, see a public IPV6 address that start "2a0e". If you only have an IPV6 adddress that starts with "fe80" that's a link-local address and will give you a fail on the IPV6 test site.

Check to see if your router is handing out public IPV6 addresses from its /56 allocation (*1) that it should be getting from Toob.
Tip In future, best to obscure your public IPV6 address. However, it didn't respond when I pinged it. ;)

*1 Your delegated prefix will likely also start with "2a0e:cbxx" The hex digits after the "cb" may well be different from those in your /64 router address. Since they give you a /56 allocation, that gives you 256 sub-nets to allocate, each with a 64-bit address space. Your public address space has just expanded enormously - don't get lost in it!

Thanks for the help!

The command returned a whole bunch of 'media disconnected' wireless and ethernet devices, but it did show an IPv4 address here:

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Wireless-AC 9462 #2
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 1C-1B-B5-8F-XX-XX
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.X.XXX(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.XXX.X
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 05 May 2023 17:13:40
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 05 May 2023 19:13:40
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.XXX.X.X
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.XXX.X.X
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.XXX.X.X
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Unfortunately, no IPv4 address to be found...

There are addresses showing that start that way in the router settings:

LAN2.png

I had a look through all the other tabs, but nothing seemed relevant.

I'm not sure how important this is anyway? A lot of the threads that I've found on the topic are people going into their Toob router settings to turn off IPv6 (apparently runs better without it?)

Thanks for the tip on obscuring the IPv6 address in any case (have made an edit!)

Attachments

• LAN.png
    LAN.png
    26 KB · Views: 64

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!