What's new

Adding XD4 node to XT8 mesh to extend network to detached garage

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

milkplus

New Around Here
Hi there. I currently have a two-node setup with a couple of Asus Zenwifi XT8s connected by wireless backhaul.

What I'd like to do is extend wifi coverage to my detached garage, which is about 100m from my house, so that I can install some IoT devices (light bulbs, camera, garage door opener, etc.)

Currently, the mesh network doesn't reach the garage at all and I believe this is because the router is on the far side of the house, and the node is in the basement hooked up to various IoT hubs. I'm trying to find out that if I purchase an XD4 or even a CD6 node and place it near a window on the first floor that has line of sight with the garage whether this would help? I think it would be overkill to get another XT8 for this purpose as the coverage within the house works great.

Anyone with a similar experience (doesn't even have to be with the Asus gear) able to share any info? Unfortunately, it's not possible to run cable between the house and garage because it crosses into common property.

Very similar experience.

I had the same situation, a detached garage which my wifi (AX88U in my attic) did not reach. I also wanted to install 2 camera (inside and out, an Echo flex, motion and flood sensors). They didn't need anything special like wifi 6, and all 2.5ghz devices anyway.

I installed a $20 TP-link wifi powerline adaptor, hardwired to my router, and its been flawless for over a year now.

I'm sure someone will be along soon to tell me why I'm wrong, or what would be better, but I did not see the point in spending much on trying to stretch my wifi for a few iot devices when the power cable to my garage was effectively there to be used as a cheap wired backhaul to the main house. Obviously I would not want to run my main network like this.

Oh yeah, totally. This is the route I would be taking because, as you said, I just need to get a couple IoT devices online, so nothing fancy.

Unfortunately, the garage is part of a series of garages in a housing cooperative and, as I understand it, isn't actually hooked up to the same power grid as my house. So this option is sadly a no-go. Hence why I was investigating if strategically placing a 3rd node might do the trick...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!