What's new

adding XT8 as wireless node to a ethernet backhaul mesh?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pvanosta

Occasional Visitor
My current mesh setup is as follows:
3 Zenwifi XT8 all connected using ethernet backhaul across 3 floors in the house
1 RPAC 55 in the garage, connected wirelessly to the mesh, which is broadcasting on channel 48
I tried adding a wireless node to sit between the XT8 on the ground floor and the RP-AC55 in the garage, to boost the signal strength / the coverage in the garage (preparing for a Tesla and a wall charger, both connecting to wifi).

First attempt: a zenwifi xd6s. Added it as a wireless node to the mesh but within a minute it lost connection and blinked red, regardless of how close to the main XT8 it was positioned, so it got returned.

Tomorrow I am getting a proper XT8 (identical to the 3 already installed). My question: can I add the 4th XT8 as a wireless mesh node, if the other 3 are using ethernet backhaul?

Tomorrow I am getting a proper XT8 (identical to the 3 already installed). My question: can I add the 4th XT8 as a wireless mesh node, if the other 3 are using ethernet backhaul?

It should be possible... AiMesh permits mixing wired and wireless backhauls. Ethernet Backhaul Mode must remain disabled so that all nodes will be permitted to use wireless backhauls as determined by AiMesh. You will want to be sure node backhaul connection priority is set as you require... Ethernet for the wired nodes, and Auto for the wireless node.

Beware too much WiFi... and/or some wired nodes preferring to use their wireless backhaul. Monitor the Wireless Log to make sure no wired node shows up with an active wireless backhaul connection... wireless backhaul connections should remain 'off' while using wired backhaul.

OE

Last edited:
It should be possible... AiMesh permits mixing wired and wireless backhauls. Ethernet Backhaul Mode must remain disabled so that all nodes will be permitted to use wireless backhauls as determined by AiMesh. You will want to be sure node backhaul connection priority is set as you require... Ethernet for the wired nodes, and Auto for the wireless node.

Beware too much WiFi... and/or some wired nodes preferring to use their wireless backhaul. Monitor the Wireless Log to make sure no wired node shows up with an active wireless backhaul connection... wireless backhaul connections should remain 'off' while using wired backhaul.

OE
Thank you for your input, but it leaves me a bit confused. can the backhaul preference be set at the individual node level? How/where do I ensure no wired node shows up with an active wireless backhaul?

As a follow-up question: Based on my Mesh lay-out graph, the RP-AC55 garage is connecting to the XT8 mesh node on the second floor (see pic). If that is a true representation, is there a way for me to point the RP-AC55 to the router/base station at the top of the diagram, which is closest to it?

Attachments

• LAN.jpg
    LAN.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 152
You can go into that node and set the wifi uplink priority to the main router.

Attachments

• B31937E7-D8E6-4182-920D-809A6329F81D.png
    B31937E7-D8E6-4182-920D-809A6329F81D.png
    191.5 KB · Views: 149
  • C446124E-17E2-4E74-A482-6C51C4318550.png
    C446124E-17E2-4E74-A482-6C51C4318550.png
    153.8 KB · Views: 134
  • E0EEA9A6-7394-42AF-9FE5-63950AB5788E.png
    E0EEA9A6-7394-42AF-9FE5-63950AB5788E.png
    153.7 KB · Views: 144
Thank you for your input, but it leaves me a bit confused. can the backhaul preference be set at the individual node level? How/where do I ensure no wired node shows up with an active wireless backhaul?

How many sq ft (footprint, not levels) are you covering with 4 APs?

There are settings to bind clients to APs and nodes to uplink nodes, but if you are forcing a lot of this, then maybe you have too much WiFi flying around. Spend some time with it to see how all behaves.

OE

How many sq ft (footprint, not levels) are you covering with 4 APs?

There are settings to bind clients to APs and nodes to uplink nodes, but if you are forcing a lot of this, then maybe you have too much WiFi flying around. Spend some time with it to see how all behaves.

OE
I have approx 3000 sq ft over 3 floors, but European construction (all brick and concrete). I now have the main router in the entrance hallway / main stairwell, with an AX node in the kitchen, an AX node in the master bedroom (one floor up) and an AX node in the home office (second floor up). The AX in the kitchen uses wifi backhaul, while the other 3 have ethernet preferred. The RP has minimal configuration capabilities. I just wanted it to have the best signal possible in the garage and I don't have ethertnet there.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!