What's new

AddOns newbie...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Cr00zng

Occasional Visitor
Just added the Merlin Firmware Version: 3.0.0.4.386_42095 to my new AX86U router. Missing the Merlin logo once logged in, but otherwise, it's been working fine.

I just happen to notice all of the available addons for this firmware, there are quite of few of them:

1619641138575.png

The installation procedure is pretty much the same for all of them, like execute a script via the SSH client/terminal. Other than listing the Merlin firmware versions as a requirement, no other requirement is listed. Is that all that one would need for installing the Merlin firmware addons?

The one I am interested is the "connmon" addon with similar requirement. Does this addon relies on its own monitoring, or requires enabling the Asus, rather Trend Micro AiProtection, Traffic analyzer, Apps analyzer, Adaptive QoS/Game boost, Web history? Maybe I should ask this question in the "connmon" thread...

TIA...

The main requirement is a modern version of Merlin and Entware installed on a USB, usually. For connmon no TrendMicro features are needed

Your router is still running Asuswrt official firmware, not Asuswrt-Merlin.
Thank for detecting the Asus firmware, much appreciate it. I don't have time today, but will upload Merlin's latest firmware tomorrow morning.

The main requirement is a modern version of Merlin and Entware installed on a USB, usually. For connmon no TrendMicro features are needed
I'll have the latest version of Merlin installed tomorrow morning.

Entware may take a while, based on a short glance at it. There seems to be some conflict between Optware and Entware with Asuswrt Merlin firmware that needs to be evaluated prior to running scripts and installing addons.

Thanks for the clarification about TrendMicro and "connmon", that is what I was hoping for. So far, connmon had been the only addons that I'd need, subject to adding more as I get used to the commandline again. It's going to feel like ol'times...;)

No. Everything you need is available in AMTM - Asuswrt-Merlin Terminal Menu. It's included in Asus-Merlin firmware.

Thanks for the link...

This is the first I've heard about AMTM, this site has a lot of addons for the Asus router, included in the Asuswrt-Merlin firmware or not. That's a lot of learning for a newbie prior to installing them. Running scripts in the terminal is the least of my problem, making certain what needs to be in place prior to installing the targeted addon will be harder. But i'll get there...

Thanks everyone for your help...

Last edited:
From where you are right now based on what I've read above, all that really needs to be in place is (at least, IMO) a 16GB USB portable drive/memory stick.
SSH into the router, launch amtm, choose the scripts to install and you'll get walked through it.
Start at the top of the list and work your way down; you and your machine are handled with kid gloves.

From where you are right now based on what I've read above, all that really needs to be in place is (at least, IMO) a 16GB USB portable drive/memory stick.
SSH into the router, launch amtm, choose the scripts to install and you'll get walked through it.
Start at the top of the list and work your way down; you and your machine are handled with kid gloves.
Thanks...

Pretty much everything is in place, including the SSH, looke at the "amtm" interface and probably add a 64/128GBs USB drive formatted with ext3 file system. Installing addons when everything in place looks easy, I just had to wrap my head around it....

Thanks everyonbe for your help...

Pretty much everything is in place, including the SSH, looke at the "amtm" interface and probably add a 64/128GBs USB drive formatted with ext3 file system.

You need to slow down. In AMTM you can format the drive, create the swap file, run disk check on every boot. Install only scripts you need. Read in AddOns section what scripts do and how they do it. Otherwise you'll come back quickly with 100 more questions answered 100 times already.

Also, IMHO, just because you *can* install a bunch of scripts, does not mean you *need* to. Take your time. Start by setting up your usb stick and reading about AMTM. Consider setting up swap space first. See how that goes then *read* about the other scripts listed in the menu. *then* decide if they are appropriate for you, what risks are involved (stability), how to maintain and update them, etc. Add one thing at a time, slowly.

Isn't that what the forum for, "100 more questions answered 100 times already"? ;):D

Kidding aside, good advice guys and certainly will take it slow.

Thanks everyone...