What's new

Adguard DNS buffer size too small

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

askhe8

New Around Here
Hey there, recently setup a new AX-68U with Merlin 386.72. I have setup Adguard and Skynet with mostly default settings and everything is functioning very well. I checked my syslog and have been seeing occasional errors from adguard:

Code:
Aug  3 09:52:36 AdGuardHome[20795]: 2022/08/03 09:52:36.506790 [error] unpacking udp packet: dns: buffer size too small
Aug  3 09:52:39 AdGuardHome[20795]: 2022/08/03 09:52:39.547838 [error] unpacking udp packet: dns: buffer size too small

/proc/sys/net/core/rmem_max is already set to 2500000 by default as someone in another thread suggested. I'm wondering what else I can do to address this issue. Github and other forum posts/threads here have not revealed anything else I can do. I've used Merlin on all previous ASUS routers, but this is my first time setting up Adguard/Skynet. I've been lurking on the forum for a long time, but this is my first time posting. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hey there, recently setup a new AX-68U with Merlin 386.72. I have setup Adguard and Skynet with mostly default settings and everything is functioning very well. I checked my syslog and have been seeing occasional errors from adguard:

Code:
Aug  3 09:52:36 AdGuardHome[20795]: 2022/08/03 09:52:36.506790 [error] unpacking udp packet: dns: buffer size too small
Aug  3 09:52:39 AdGuardHome[20795]: 2022/08/03 09:52:39.547838 [error] unpacking udp packet: dns: buffer size too small

/proc/sys/net/core/rmem_max is already set to 2500000 by default as someone in another thread suggested. I'm wondering what else I can do to address this issue. Github and other forum posts/threads here have not revealed anything else I can do. I've used Merlin on all previous ASUS routers, but this is my first time setting up Adguard/Skynet. I've been lurking on the forum for a long time, but this is my first time posting. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
what servers are you using?

I using this one:

[/168.192.in-addr.arpa/]192.168.2.1
[/router.asus.com/][::]:553
[/www.asusrouter.com/][::]:553
[/lan/][::]:553
[//][::]:553
tls://unfiltered.adguard-dns.com
quic://unfiltered.adguard-dns.com
tls://security.cloudflare-dns.com
Atleast one of the DNS server on your list maybe the culprit for the UDP errors; however, this has been a known error on adguardhome in general. It is not exclusive to being an error that only appears while using AGH on Asuswrt-Merlin. It most likely has nothing to do with adguardhome and more to do with the encrypted upstream dns servers being used. If your DNS resolution is not failing, I would just assume at somepoint it will be fixed over time. If your DNS is actually failing, then I recommend using different upstreams, or using your DNS servers in parallel load balance policy to create redundancy.

But don't just take my word for it, @Tech9 has extensive experience with UDP packet errors.

A mix of filtered and unfiltered upstream DNS servers with all DoT, DoH and QUIC is something I'm failing to figure out.
I get what you mean. If I use squad9, I also use cloudflair-security, but not squad9 and plain (cloudlfair, or goggles) dns. Since squad9 has a security filtering, we would want to use another server that has a form of service filtering which is comparable.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!