What's new

AdGuard DNS through ASUS Router App

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mcmxmk19

Occasional Visitor
Has anyone setup and used AdGuard DNS through the ASUS Router app? I hadn’t noticed it until the last update and wasn’t able to find any information regarding AdGuard being set up through the ASUS Router app. Seems pretty straight forward, all it seems you need to do is toggle it on and acknowledge that you want ads to be blocked. However it doesn’t provide much information. Such as, is it for all devices on your network or just the device that has the ASUS Router app of if you need to do anything else after toggling on?

Attachments

• 77BDB660-6AC4-4784-A9AF-A3E7C656C9B6.png
    77BDB660-6AC4-4784-A9AF-A3E7C656C9B6.png
    336.9 KB · Views: 3,343
Never noticed it, I would wonder if it would affect other devices I have using their own DNS? I have the kid's devices configured on the router to use family shield DNS.

I also want to use it now, whats the diffrrence between using it on the app, or install it locally like this?

what doesn enabling the adguard on the router do? why is this only visible in the router app and not on webinterface?

This is awesome! I’ve been using AdGuard on my individual devices already via paid subscription. I’ve used Quad9 on my router for a while now.

The biggest benefit would be being able to use their DNS on my IOT devices, and cover my other devices that are already using AdGuard, but not worry about maintenance since it’ll be in front of me which makes it easier to control.

AdGuard has a beta version of router level DNS service in production. Similar to NextDNS with a dashboard level interface. I’ve been waiting for that as I’ve been pleased with their service so far.

I just put the adguard DNS server ip address in the WAN configuration page.

It works great and gets rid of unreachable ads such as mobile apps / games etc.

I did that too, but seems not enough, my phones were still getting 8.8.8.8 as secundary dns, so ads were still coming.. also had define the DNS on the DHCP server config

This is a very late posting, and I know there have been some new developments in regard to using AdGuard while using Merlin (good ones). It seems that using AdGuard through the app works effectively enough. So, if you’re someone who doesn’t ssh into their router, maybe this will work. Or you could probably just use DNSFilter. See attached screenshots. I realized I posted this, but never followed up

Though it is not recommended to proactively use the app and make sure you do not accidentally activate remote access. I’d get AdGuard up and running via the app if you’re not into scripting, then unlink your phone and disable any additional settings the app needed, then delete it.

Attachments

• F8626217-BA0F-4759-93E8-B261D4F7C93B.png
    F8626217-BA0F-4759-93E8-B261D4F7C93B.png
    71.1 KB · Views: 1,526
  • 416645A3-2783-4C47-8197-67C3983E4D5B.png
    416645A3-2783-4C47-8197-67C3983E4D5B.png
    75.3 KB · Views: 1,095
  • F371F871-DC07-44DF-AF53-C1F99E6873E5.jpeg
    F371F871-DC07-44DF-AF53-C1F99E6873E5.jpeg
    54.4 KB · Views: 1,546

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!