What's new

admin access / ip-adress / how to change and hard-reset

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jochenthomas

Occasional Visitor
Hi,
I changed the router's main IP-address from 192.168.1.1 to another one (192.168.5.1). But I forgot to change most likely the allowed IP for remote administration which I initially set to 192.168.1.99.

So -the AC66U having the wished IP now- I can't access the administration page (?because of this access rights?).
I was looking around via SSH (dhcp provides the correct IP for the clients) for the correct config file but was not able to find the right one.

So I thougt I can hard-reset the router by pressing the reset button for around 8s after powering up.
BUT Nothing happens. Holding down the butten does not change the power-LED to change (slow blinking).
The router boots in normal mode...

My questions therefore:
- how to change the now wrong set IP-address for the remote access (which config file is responsible)?
- why I can't hard reset the router (with the newest Merlin ROM)?

Last edited:
Hi,
I changed the router's main IP-address from 192.168.1.1 to another one (192.168.5.1). But I forgot to change most likely the allowed IP for remote administration which I initially set to 192.168.1.99.

So -the AC66U having the wished IP now- I can't access the administration page (?because of this access rights?).
I was looking around via SSH (dhcp provides the correct IP for the clients) for the correct config file but was not able to find the right one.

So I thougt I can hard-reset the router by pressing the reset button for around 8s after powering up.
BUT Nothing happens. Holding down the butten does not change the power-LED to change (slow blinking).
The router boots in normal mode...

My questions therefore:
- how to change the now wrong set IP-address for the remote access (which config file is responsible)?
- why I can't hard reset the router (with the newest Merlin ROM)?

The following will disable the IP access list:

nvram set http_client=0
nvram commit

Resetting to factory defaults at boot time must be done with the WPS button. The reset button will reset your settings if you use it while the router is done booting.

If you boot the router while the reset button is already pressed, it will boot into recovery mode - it has to be pressed before you actually turn the router on.

Hi,
many, many thanks for the competent answer.
It's good to have such an "Oracle".

Is there a source where I would be able to look for myself for such answers, the Guide surely will not reveal it :)

Hi,
many, many thanks for the competent answer.
It's good to have such an "Oracle".

Is there a source where I would be able to look for myself for such answers, the Guide surely will not reveal it :)

While Asus does have an extensive list of FAQs for the firmware on their website, a lot of that low-level knowledge is only available by digging through the source code, or finding other user's past experiences on the forums.

Could be a good idea to have thread where usuful commands can be added.
I have a list which I have cut and pasted from various posts to contribute in this is coming up.
But I wonder why Asus could not to this ....

While Asus does have an extensive list of FAQs for the firmware on their website, a lot of that low-level knowledge is only available by digging through the source code, or finding other user's past experiences on the forums.

Could be a good idea to have thread where usuful commands can be added.
I have a list which I have cut and pasted from various posts to contribute in this is coming up.
But I wonder why Asus could not to this ....

95% of users don't need this to use the router for what it was meant, and also because the firmware is in constant evolution. Plus writing that kind of documentation takes a LOT of time, time better spent for them writing documentation on the actual features such as PPTP, disk sharing, etc...

Also, nvram settings aren't meant to be accessed by the users, because they can be changed at any time. For example, the nvram setting to disable GRO was renamed in recent firmware versions - that allowed Asus to change the default value from enabled to disabled without requiring users to reset to factory defaults. Think of it as a private API that shouldn't be relied upon.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!