What's new

Advanced DHCP?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

danswan

New Around Here
I used to have a feature on my old tomato router called advanced dhcp, which could direct to a tftp server for pxe booting. I've just got an n66u and I was wondering if this firmware can do that too, or would I be better with dd-wrt or tomato??

I used to have a feature on my old tomato router called advanced dhcp, which could direct to a tftp server for pxe booting. I've just got an n66u and I was wondering if this firmware can do that too, or would I be better with dd-wrt or tomato??

Not out of the box, no. But you could create a custom dnsmasq.conf config file to add any additional DHCP options you wish to pass to clients.

Thanks, any guides or documentation around to show me how you'd do this??

The Github wiki explains how to create a custom config file.

As to the exact dnsmasq parameters to add to the custom config file, try a Google search to see what DHCP option you must pass - I don't know it.

Thanks again - I'm OK with the content, it was just how to access the innards of the router, I'll check that Wiki :)

Many thanks for your help with this RMerlin, I decided to give your firmware a go (fantastic so far!), followed the steps on the Wiki and added my custom content (in case anyone's interested, I created dnsmasq.conf.add in /jffs/configs, with the line to point to my tftp server 'dhcp-boot=/Boot/pxelinux.0,,192.168.1.105').

It worked first time, I'm pleased as I do like the look and feel of the standard Asus firmware and what you've done with it.

Thanks again!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!