What's new

Advice for a M2 or miniPCIe WiFi module + antennas

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SpaceTofu

Occasional Visitor
Hi all

I am looking at upgrading the WiFi module in my Asus H97I-plus motherboard.
I will be getting a mini PCIe / M2 card, probably an M2 one, as I take it M2 is where the future is headed and all the newest WiFi modules are M2, I believe.

Besides the evergreen but perhaps slightly outdated Intel 7260.HMWG.R Dual Band Wireless Network and the extremely brand new Intel WiFi 6 AX200 I cannot find any decent proposal by other brands? Is Intel nowadays basically having a monopoly of good-quality, well-priced WiFi adapters?
Are you able to suggest some other models (Intel or not) I should be looking at?
Also, any idea on some good antennas I can pair to the card?

Mainly my computer is connected via LAN, but in the future it will be making more use of wireless. The router is not a great one, but seeing the cost of these cards are quite comparable, I would like for the WiFi adapter to be as future ready as possible.
Thanks

If you don't want the AX200, there's the AC9260.

Make sure the PCIe adapter you buy supports the 2230 form factor / A or E key. Some are designed to support only SSDs.

Intel is the way to go. They frequently update drivers.

What are you currently using for antennas? I'd recommend using external dipoles vs. internal patch antennas. Just keep the cables as short as you can to minimize signal loss.

Hello Thiggins
Sorry for disappearing, you know, holiday season.

I'm not against the AX200 for any specific reason, actually I do see it's well priced so why not.
Thanks for confirming that Intel is the way to go indeed.

Probably most importantly I need to pay some.l research to the antennas; currently I just have two bog standard antenna that are coming out of a old TP Link PCIe card (so external dipoles they're I guess!), so nothing too fancy really. Potentially I can just reuse them and save myself some hassle.

Hello Thiggins
Sorry for disappearing, you know, holiday season.

I'm not against the AX200 for any specific reason, actually I do see it's well priced so why not.
Thanks for confirming that Intel is the way to go indeed.

Probably most importantly I need to pay some.l research to the antennas; currently I just have two bog standard antenna that are coming out of a old TP Link PCIe card (so external dipoles they're I guess!), so nothing too fancy really. Potentially I can just reuse them and save myself some hassle.
Were the old antennas intended for dual-band use?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!