What's new

Advice for a new Dual Band N router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

grillhead

Occasional Visitor
Hi all :) I am looking to upgrade from my current Linksys WRT54G v4 to a Dual Band N router. The WRT54G is a good router, but my needs have increased since I first got it. I have read the charts and reviews so much my head is swimming. I have also looked at the buying guides but could still use some general direction. Here are the things I am looking for:

1. A good stable connection. My house is 1756 sq. ft., as a traditional 2-story house with an addition built onto the back. We use Roadrunner cable internet with a Motorola Surfboard modem.
2. Connections: I have the following connected (so far):
(a) Laptop (I will need to get an N adapter for it)
(b) 2 Vizio Internet connected televisions
(c) Nintendo Wii
(d) 2 HTC smartphones
(e) Epson wireless All-in-One
There is always the possibility of adding something more in the future.
3. My usage is mostly streaming and internet usage, whether streaming directly to the televisions, or hooking up the laptop to them. File sharing isn't something I generally do.
4. We do not have any landline telephones (cordless or otherwise) so interference isn't as much of an issue.
5. A USB port to attach an external drive would be nice, but not a necessity.
6. Nothing will likely ever be hard wired to it so gigabit ports are not a necessity either.
7. Open source firmware is nice, but with the options most routers offer now, I don't consider it a necessity either (although I'm not quite up to speed on how to work QoS either).
8. Orientation is not a problem as I can place it horizontally or vertically.
9. I've been partial to external antennae, but with the advancements in internal ones, I don't think this is much of an issue either.
10. Of course, I'd like to keep my price point under $100, but if I need to go a little over to have the connectivity that I need, I can do what I have to do.
11. I am not brand specific. I've had good luck with my Linksys, but I would entertain any brand.

Any assistance I can get from you folks would be appreciated. Thanks for all you do! :)

Last edited:
I thought Belkin stuff was junk, but maybe that was way back in the day, because I've seen some positive comments on them lately. Have they improved that much?

Ok, here is what I *think* I've narrowed it down to:

NetGear WNDR3700v2
NetGear WNDR3800
NetGear WNDR4000
NetGear WNDR4500
Linksys E4200
Asus RT-N56u

So, with what I listed above, which of these would best suit my needs? Anyone?

I don't think there is a "best" fit. Pick one and try it.

Purchase from a store that allows returns without penalty. Make sure you understand all terms of return to get all your money back.

I know I could do that, but honestly, doing that kind of makes the purpose of these forums pointless. I could do that in a never ending cycle. I'm not trying to be difficult, but I figured I'd get some advice using the info I gave above.

Ok, here is what I *think* I've narrowed it down to:

NetGear WNDR3700v2
NetGear WNDR3800
NetGear WNDR4000
NetGear WNDR4500
Linksys E4200
Asus RT-N56u

So, with what I listed above, which of these would best suit my needs? Anyone?

Have you considered the E3200 from Linksys? Meets most of your needs, and at a good price point.

Yeah, I think I'd consider the E3200 as well. Looks like it would work, since I'm not too concerned about 3 stream.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!