What's new

Advice for best solution

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bmn1

Hi, right now i have a DSL-AC68U router, and I've tried a lot of solution from USB Dongles the last of which is the USB-AC68 and now a repeater the RP-AC68U to give stable wireless connectivity upstairs on my bedroom.
The USB Dongle on my system has been pretty usable but far from an optimal solution, the repeater that i recently bought has been more stable but a bit slow.
I live in a really old house so i must exclude powerline solution and unfortunately the wall are really thick and i can't run cabling.
What i'm asking is: what is the best solution to get fast and stable wireless connectivity upstairs?
Right now i'm watching the PCE-AC88U, the RP-AC87/EX7000 or even a wireless router like the RT-AC87U in wireless bridge mode.
Thanks in advance for the advices.

Last edited:
Your best bet would be to upgrade the DSL-AC68U to a 4x4 router, then use a 4x4 bridge on the other end. That will give you the best shot at a high bandwidth stable connection.

Even if you can't upgrade the DSL router, using a 4x4 router/bridge/client on the bedroom end is your best bet.

... the repeater that i recently bought has been more stable but a bit slow!
Well as long as you already have money into the RP-AC68U repeater take a closer look at how it's configured:

If your client connects to the repeater on the 5 GHz radio and it then sends to the router from the same 5 GHz radio your speed is "halfed" because the repeater stops receiving from you while it sends to the router. (That's often the default configuration.)

If that's the case then you should(?) be able to reconfigure the repeater such that it only talks to the router on 2.4 GHz and it only talks to clients on the 5 GHz radio (or vice-versa depending on your circumstance). That way when your client sends to the repeater it can use the other radio to send to the router without having to shutdown the client's radio.

I'd be most curious if that works out?

PS Proper placement of the repeater can be very important.

Last edited:
Your best bet would be to upgrade the DSL-AC68U to a 4x4 router, then use a 4x4 bridge on the other end. That will give you the best shot at a high bandwidth stable connection.

Even if you can't upgrade the DSL router, using a 4x4 router/bridge/client on the bedroom end is your best bet.
I was looking for the RT2600AC for a while now, so this could be an upgrade or even the Synology Mesh router but i'm a bit skeptical about mesh.
Can you suggest me a good 4x4 bridge?

Well as long as you already have money into the RP-AC68U repeater take a closer look at how it's configured:

If your client connects to the repeater on the 5 GHz radio and it then sends to the router from the same 5 GHz radio your speed is "halfed" because the repeater stops receiving from you while it sends to the router. (That's often the default configuration.)

If that's the case then you should(?) be able to reconfigure the repeater such that it only talks to the router on 2.4 GHz and it only talks to clients on the 5 GHz radio (or vice-versa depending on your circumstance). That way when your client sends to the repeater it can use the other radio to send to the router without having to shutdown the client's radio.

I'd be most curious if that works out?

PS Proper placement of the repeater can be very important.
Thanks for the advice i'll try it ASAP.
I've bought RP-AC68 last week so is still under amazon returns policy.
But i think that is not a problem cause i'm using ethernet to connect the repeater to my PC, i think that the internal antennas of the repeater is not so powerful.

But i think that is not a problem cause i'm using ethernet to connect the repeater to my PC
Uh, sorry, I missed that part and, yeah, you're probably right.
i think that the internal antennas of the repeater is not so powerful
Which has me wondering about placement? Repeaters don't really amplify the signal; they catch, reform and then retransmit the signal. It's like handing the baton to the next runner in a relay.

Repeaters are normally placed about half-way between you and the router. (Half isn't quite right, the point is you'll need to place the repeater some optimum distance between you and the router.)

I'm probably wrong but when you said you used an Ethernet cable to connect your PC to the repeater I'm seeing the repeater sitting next to the PC in your bedroom rather than down the hall somewhere?

You can load a WiFi analyzer onto your phone and play with placements.

Last edited:
Uh, sorry, I missed that part and, yeah, you're probably right.

Which has me wondering about placement? Repeaters don't really amplify the signal; they catch, reform and then retransmit the signal. It's like handing the baton to the next runner in a relay.

Repeaters are normally placed about half-way between you and the router. (Half isn't quite right, the point is you'll need to place the repeater some optimum distance between you and the router.)

I'm probably wrong but when you said you used an Ethernet cable to connect your PC to the repeater I'm seeing the repeater sitting next to the PC in your bedroom rather than down the hall somewhere?

You can load a WiFi analyzer onto your phone and play with placements.
Unfortunately i'm very restricted about repeater placement too, at this point i think that my only chance is a powerful PCE-AC88 with 4 external antennas or some mesh system.

Last edited:
Unfortunately i'm very restricted about repeater placement too, at this point i think that my only chance is a powerful PCE-AC88 with 4 external antennas.
Hey, that's ok. I just figured as long as you had it ...

You could just lay it all out, on the floor or stairs if need be, to test / prove feasibility. IF everything works we've both learned something (or not) and if everything works you might just get a creative idea for mounting stuff. (It's just one little box looking for a power outlet ...)

Best of luck ...

Edit: Oh wow, just looked at a picture of your device, it's actually got little lights that show how good the signal is from your router to your repeater. What's your read?

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!