What's new

Advice for Network Overhaul on Small Business Network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

takrupp

New Around Here
Hey everyone,

I'm sure there are a lot of people asking for this kind of help, but I'm at wits end. I am the owner of a couple of small businesses that all run out of the same apartment. I'm the "techie" so the network stuff falls on me, but frankly I'm over my head.

So we need to buy a complete new network setup. Currently we have:
- Linksys WRT45g
- HP Media Center (acting as the current file server) (100mg Ethernet)
- Up to 3 Mac Books (wireless N and G)
- Up to 2 Ubuntu Machines (wireless N and G)
- Up to 6 PCs (wireless N and G)
- Brother MFC 2770N (100mg Ethernet)

The goal:
- We need an N router. We'd lock this down the Mac addresses and only for business use.
- We were thinking of using the WRT45g for the G connections - Guests would use this, as well as the older Macs.
- Need a NAS for file serving. We use Dropbox heavily, so compatibility or at least hacking for Dropbox would be great. There would be 4-5 people accessing the server at a time, max.
- The Media Server would be a pure media server. We'd put in a wireless card N USB adapter, and hook it to a projector.
- Needs to work with Comcast and the Brother network printer.

My thoughts:
- Buy a Linsys WRT610n - for the N wireless and to be the gate way (the WRT45g would connect to the WRT610n and the 610n would be the gateway to comcast)
- Buy a Cisco Valet USB Wireless Connector for the Media Center
- Buy a NAS - I was looking at the Diskless Netgear Pioneer NVX with 3 1gig WD Caviar Blacks ran in X-raid. Alternatively we were looking at the Synology DS710+ ran in Raid 0 with 2 WD Blacks and a 1gig backup drive.

The Question:
We want to rework the network for a budget of $800-1000. The File Server needs to perform well with 3-5 people accessing it and dropbox running on it. The Media Server will be self sufficient (ie we wont be serving video from the NAS, just files for the business). The NAS needs to be reliable, and as mentioned, work with Dropbox.

Are there any clear compatibility problems with the above? Are there any components that would be better give the goals and general setup for performance?

Thanks everyone, I know this is broad, but really need some guidance from those in the know.

I think I found the final solution...

So, I did a ton more research, and finally decided on going with a Netgear Setup. The main lynch pin was my desire to get Dropbox working natively on the NAS. With that said, it seemed that I needed an Intel (x86) based NAS running Linux. I had basically two choices given my budget:
- Synology 411+
- Netgear Ultra (NVX Pioneer was possible, Ultra seems better for my purposes).

Although in theory I think I could get Dropbox working on both of them, given that the only How-To on getting Dropbox working on a NAS was written for Netgear hardware, I've chosen the Netgear Ultra (Here is the guide for all interested: http://forums.dropbox.com/topic.php?id=9454), even though the Synology seemed a bit better performance from reviews (90% of the computers on the network will be run on wireless, so the NAS is unlikely to be the bottle neck on performance anyways).

To round it out, here is the full setup:
- Netgear Readynas RNDU4000 4-bay with 3 Western Digital Caviar Black 1gig WND1001FALS
- Netgear WNDR37AV Wireless Router
- Netgear WN111 (for the media server)
- Old Linksys WRT54g (for guest network access)

If anyone has any suggestions to the contrary, let me know. Otherwise, Ill hook this stuff up later this month and give the report.

Bonus question: Whats the best way to use the dual Ethernet ports on the Readynas Ultra? Does it allow duplexing? Do I just plug both into the same router (the WNDR37AV) or would it be better to connect it to both the 37AV and the WRT54g?

Thanks again!

Two things. I'd leave the media center connected via Ethernet if you're going to play / stream HD from / to it. I doubt you'll be happy with wireless reliability.

Hope the Dropbox hack on the ReadyNAS works for you. But don't be surprised if it doesn't.

the ultra and pioneer models do not support 'duplexing' AKA bonding.

So whats the point of the extra NIC? Since Ill have two wireless routers, think I should plug the nas into both? Is there any hack to get bonding to work?

Also: Not going to stream with the Media Center. Media Center will hold all media files natively. The NAS is just going to hold boring business stuff (we use the file server a lot, its a recruiting company, so lots of resumes to keep track of).

honestly? there isn't much point

if you have 2 subnets/networks, you could keep them isolated while still sharing data on the nas.

if you use iscsi, you could isolate iscsi traffic on one subnet/network and general access to the other.

there is an (obviously unsupported) addon for bonding, I don't know if it works with the newer models or latest firmware tho.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online