What's new

Advice for router with USB for small area with tethering

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

igorjrr

New Around Here
Hello,
Looking for suggestions on which router to buy for the following:

- Does not need to be powerful in terms of range (small studio apartment)
- Needs to support 2.4 and 5Ghz
- Must have USB port(s)
- Must support third party firmware (see next point)
- Must support, either via factory firmware or third-party firmware, USB tethering (e.g. ofmodemsandmen, ASUS, etc.).

Thank you for ideas!

I'm fairly certain that any of the current Asus routers will do USB tethering with an Android phone. Where things get complicated is with USB modems. There was another thread not to long ago (found it) where someone was trying to find a router that would work with a Sprint USB modem. The Asus list of approved USB modems didn't have any Sprint models listed. I'm not 100 percent sure but I think both stock and Asuswrt-Merlin support tethering.

If you find that Asus routers will work for you then I would recommend the RT-AC66U_B1 which is essentially a repackaged 68U (same internals except I think the current 68U's come with a 1.4 GHz processor vs 1.0 on the B1) at a lower price point. Don't confuse this somewhat recently released router with the older non-B1 version. This router is probably the best bang for the buck Asus router right now. Last I checked they were < $100. The AC66U_B1 is also listed as an AC1750

I'm fairly certain that any of the current Asus routers will do USB tethering with an Android phone. Where things get complicated is with USB modems. There was another thread not to long ago (found it) where someone was trying to find a router that would work with a Sprint USB modem. The Asus list of approved USB modems didn't have any Sprint models listed. I'm not 100 percent sure but I think both stock and Asuswrt-Merlin support tethering.

If you find that Asus routers will work for you then I would recommend the RT-AC66U_B1 which is essentially a repackaged 68U (same internals except I think the current 68U's come with a 1.4 GHz processor vs 1.0 on the B1) at a lower price point. Don't confuse this somewhat recently released router with the older non-B1 version. This router is probably the best bang for the buck Asus router right now. Last I checked they were < $100. The AC66U_B1 is also listed as an AC1750

Thank you for you reply! I ended up going with TP-Link Archer C7, installed Open-WRT and added USB modem support: https://forum.openwrt.org/t/activate-usb-support-usb-modem/24480

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!