What's new

Advice on router for a Soho network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dado

New Around Here
I have a D link in the middle of my setup and this thing needs resets every once in a while. It drives me nuts when everything else in the network has been running flawlessly.

I will give you an idea of my network size so you can base your best opinion on what kind of router would work best for my setup.

I have FIOS business cable with 50mbps that goes into a Cisco SRW2024 gigabit managed switch. I have some rack servers for hosting that need public ip's so they pull publics ip's from this switch which has been flawless. The problem relies on the next step.

I have a DIR 655 to one of the ports in the srw2024 gigabit managed switch which pulls one public ip. I only use one LAN port on the dlink 655 and that goes to another srw2024 where I have 5 Dell PowerEdge 2850 running Windows Server 2008R2 enterprise, Exchange 2010 server, NAS devices, and several computers behind that as well with unmanaged switches. The D link has DHCP turned off since one server handles all DHCP requests. There are some laptops and ip cameras that connect to the d link 655 directly through wireless.

I would like to replace the DIR 655 since we lose internet connectivity like once a week and I have to turn the DIR655 on and off. Of course the lan is still up since most computers are connected to the internal SRW2024.

From what I have researched I am undecided on what to go with next but something that will let me expand in the future and run reliably. I was thinking Either a Cisco 871 router or the Cisco Secure Router 500 series.

Let me know your opinions. If you have any questions on my setup feel free to ask.

Thank you.

edit. Here is a quick pic of part of the setup.
http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=399&stc=1&d=1288452652

Attachments

• rackofservers.jpg
    rackofservers.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 278
Last edited:
Ended up going with the Juniper SRX210H. The D-link 655 will be setup as a wireless access point only.

Last edited: