What's new

Advice on upgrading setup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

oyebto

New Around Here
I currently stay in a 2 storey house, with a RT-AC5300 downstairs as the primary router, and a RT-AC88U upstairs connected via wired backhaul. There are two rooms upstairs, with the 88U in one of them Now the other room upstairs does not have great connectivity, and I am currently looking for solutions:
1) Should I get a triband router like another AC5300, and put it inside this room and have wireless backhaul with my existing AC5300 (doest it work like this?)
2) put the triband downstairs below the room that has limited connectivity with hopes that signal can reach the room upstairs.

(btw its not possible to have wired backhaul in the room with low connectivity)

Welcome to the forums @oyebto.

What specific firmware is each of the routers running (stock or RMerlin)? Are you using AiMesh (v1/v2) or are they in AP mode?

Have you tried physically optimizing the routers for a better signal in the problem area?

Have you tried optimizing antennae placement and/or router orientation?

Sometimes, even a few inches in any dimension can yield remarkable results.

Have you tested different control channels on each router (and all possible combinations with the downstairs router too, in AP mode)?

Tell us a little more about your network setup, your client devices, the actual connection/throughput rates in the room that doesn't have 'great connectivity', and we should be able to help more.

If you're able to show a simple layout of the areas you're covering with the two routers, that would also be a big help in getting you more pertinent suggestions to your issues.

Thanks for the quick reply! I have shared the floorpan of my home, the one on the left is level 1, right is level 2. both connected via wired backhaul. Bedroom 2 is having network issues. bedroom 3 has no occupants so its not of concern.

possible options are to place another router at dining on level 1at the bottom left.
not possible to change current router positions due to furniture and room layout...
antenna placement, all pointing upwards for better horizontal range..

am not sure if I can add a triband router at dining for wired backhaul, so it can transmit upstairs to bedroom 3.
IMG_2490.jpg

Thanks for the quick reply! I have shared the floorpan of my home, the one on the left is level 1, right is level 2. both connected via wired backhaul. Bedroom 2 is having network issues. bedroom 3 has no occupants so its not of concern.

possible options are to place another router at dining on level 1at the bottom left.
not possible to change current router positions due to furniture and room layout...
antenna placement, all pointing upwards for better horizontal range..

am not sure if I can add a triband router at dining for wired backhaul, so it can transmit upstairs to bedroom 3.
View attachment 33730
I think you were asked about the firmware in your routers?

Try moving the upstairs router closer to the stairwell down the wall. You are partially obstructed by load bearing walls and plumbing. I did this to get a bathroom out of LOS from my AX92 to Master Bedroom and it made a big stability and throughput difference.
AX92 as AiMesh main and AC88 as wireless node.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!