What's new

Advice Request -- Network Equipment

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

OnlineInAustria

New Around Here
I'm not very versed in networking and need some advice on exactly what type of equipment I'm looking for.

I live in Austria and my internet connection is PPPoA ADSL over POTS (Annex A). Access is via a modem-router (ADB vv2220) This isn't much of a device as far as security and other features go, so I am thinking of purchasing my own router.

Unfortunately my ISP requires subscribers to use the modem-router issued by the ISP and keep it as the outermost device in the network. Switching to a new ISP is unfortunately not an option. So the setup has to be as follows:

--------------------------------vv2220
wall socket --> splitter --> modem-router --> MYNEWROUTER --> my computer
----------------------------in bridge mode

A technician at the ISP stated that I could use the vv2220 in bridge mode, in which case the vv2220 essentially becomes transparent. I could then put whatever router I end up buying behind the vv2220.

Normally, you would enter a username and password for internet access in the vv2220, but when using the vv2220 in bridge mode, the technician mentioned that I would have to enter my username and password into the internet access settings of MYNEWROUTER. This is where my problems start.

I've looked at the specifications and emulators of at least 30 different router models (routers that are only routers and don't have a built in modem) and none of them support PPPoA. Instead they support PPPoE, PPTP, L2TP, Static IP, and Dynamic IP. The only devices I have found that support PPPoA are routers with integrated modems.

So my questions are:

When using a modem-router in bridge mode, is it truly transparent? Does it perform any function other than being a connection between the splitter and MYNEWROUTER?

As mentioned above, the only device I can find that supports PPPoA is a modem with integrated router... could I use a PPPoA modem-router as MYNEWROUTER in the above diagram? Would that work?

How would you properly describe the type of network device I'm looking for? Am I really looking for some sort of gateway device?

I realize that I could use the vv2220 in non-bridge mode and plug any router into one of its ethernet ports, but as far as I know this would mean having a double NAT setup, which I have heard can be quite problematic.

I would certainly appreciate any feedback on this. I got lucky on my first call to the ISP and spoke to a technician who was pretty knowledgeable. Subsequent calls have not been very productive... so any advice would be helpful.

I'm not very versed in networking and need some advice on exactly what type of equipment I'm looking for.

I live in Austria and my internet connection is PPPoA ADSL over POTS (Annex A). Access is via a modem-router (ADB vv2220) This isn't much of a device as far as security and other features go, so I am thinking of purchasing my own router.

Unfortunately my ISP requires subscribers to use the modem-router issued by the ISP and keep it as the outermost device in the network. Switching to a new ISP is unfortunately not an option. So the setup has to be as follows:

--------------------------------vv2220
wall socket --> splitter --> modem-router --> MYNEWROUTER --> my computer
----------------------------in bridge mode

A technician at the ISP stated that I could use the vv2220 in bridge mode, in which case the vv2220 essentially becomes transparent. I could then put whatever router I end up buying behind the vv2220.

Normally, you would enter a username and password for internet access in the vv2220, but when using the vv2220 in bridge mode, the technician mentioned that I would have to enter my username and password into the internet access settings of MYNEWROUTER. This is where my problems start.

I've looked at the specifications and emulators of at least 30 different router models (routers that are only routers and don't have a built in modem) and none of them support PPPoA. Instead they support PPPoE, PPTP, L2TP, Static IP, and Dynamic IP. The only devices I have found that support PPPoA are routers with integrated modems.

So my questions are:

When using a modem-router in bridge mode, is it truly transparent? Does it perform any function other than being a connection between the splitter and MYNEWROUTER?

As mentioned above, the only device I can find that supports PPPoA is a modem with integrated router... could I use a PPPoA modem-router as MYNEWROUTER in the above diagram? Would that work?

How would you properly describe the type of network device I'm looking for? Am I really looking for some sort of gateway device?

I realize that I could use the vv2220 in non-bridge mode and plug any router into one of its ethernet ports, but as far as I know this would mean having a double NAT setup, which I have heard can be quite problematic.

I would certainly appreciate any feedback on this. I got lucky on my first call to the ISP and spoke to a technician who was pretty knowledgeable. Subsequent calls have not been very productive... so any advice would be helpful.

Double NAT should not be much of an issue. Are you running anything that you would want to access from outside on the Internet ?
i am double NAT and have no issues other than a little longer lag time.

Degrub, thanks for the reply!

Are you running anything that you would want to access from outside on the Internet ?

Do you mean setting up a VPN or similar where I would want remote access to files on the computer? No. The connection is just for browsing/typical internet use.

Are there any security issues that arise when using a double NAT setup? My search for a better router is driven mainly by security concerns.

Essentially you should be able to use PPPOE as its still PPP.

I was hoping that might be the case, however, I've seen posts on my ISP's forum where other users have set their PPPoA connection as a PPPoE connection in their router, which has resulted in very unstable connection speeds.

The modem in bridge mode will do the conversion. In the case of a modem without bridge mode see something like this https://community.plus.net/t5/Broadband/Using-the-Technicolor-TG582n-in-Bridge-Mode/m-p/901808

Thanks for the link to the post at plus.net (6 pages!) -- it will make for some interesting reading.