What's new

[Advise] 2022 (new?) wifi6e m.2 laptop network cards? Recommendations, Please

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

coldengrey

Occasional Visitor

Question 2022 (new?) wifi6e m.2 laptop network cards? Recommendations, Please​

I've a Dell XPS 9550 laptop that I'm wanting to upgrade to latest WiFi 6e (m.2), seeing a new router in my future... Can someone give me a recommendation? Specifically, not exactly in hurry as waiting for exciting new Wifi6e Router product announcements to hit market.
To go a step further, anyone up to date on the latest CES 2022 launches/new product announcements - brief me in on whether any game changers or compelling neeew hardware in the pipeline (in wiifii 6e m.2 NIC)?
For instance, quite a generational leap coming with Intel's acquisition of Killer to implement its new tech into 12 gen product line models. From what I gathered, it has new tech allowing "double connections", like 2.4ghz/5ghz + wifi6(e) simultaneously > wonder if something like that or similar heavy 'worth the wait' stuff, whether it trickles into 2022 m.2 wifi6e NIC's or some dongle??? Figured this, my networking home community, sub specialized forum would be the most up on recent product/tech coming to market in 2022..
IF no info on 2022 coming tech - perhaps recommend the best Intel AX210 chipset mfr??? There's a lot of them and am hoping fellow community members would have knowledge of best speeds/stability, etc..
Thanks
Grateful and I am,
JD

I don't think anyone can recommend cards that are not available yet. :)

The Intel AX210 card is the only one I would consider.

Intel® Dual Band Wireless AX210 M.2 Network Adapter Card

Part Number: INT-AX210.NGWG

Please see Part Number. Intel Card only, not a no-name brand knockoff.

And, I do know Intel is the only one with an AX210 class chipset.

AX210 class chipset.
It's 6E not AX210. AX210 is the model of the card.

Anyway... What I was getting to is if you're hunting for 6E cards and you go on Amazon you'll get tons of relabeled results all using the Intel card. Anywhere from $35-$100 for the same HW just being repackaged. If you go into the reviews and search for AX210 you'll find it mentioned even if the brand name you're looking at is something totally different.

I wouldn't buy this on Amazon. Local suppliers only.

Exactly because of the issues you state (i.e. 'repackaged', knockoff).

I bought 2 AX210's off Amazon for $25/ea when they came out and they work great.

The nice things about Amazon is there's no hassle to returning them if they're fake / don't work. There's no fee's for returns / restocking.

If you dig into the reviews it's easy to spot a bad deal.

Simultaneously Multiband, if that’s what you want then it’s the Intel’s AX411 aka Killer AXE1690. The Killer variant is now seen in some laptops like Razer’s latest 15” models.

If you want absolute garuntees of getting proper cards then some of the warehouse sellers like Provantage when they have stock but I think Newegg or Amazon are just fine, good return policies and some of the Chinese sellers selling via two those sites have been pretty decent, even emailing prior to shipment to make sure you have a compatible router and an actual m.2 slot and not an mpcie so they don’t get dinged by bad reviews.

Last edited:
Simultaneously Multiband, if that’s what you want then it’s the Intel’s AX411 aka Killer AXE1690. The Killer variant is now seen in some laptops like Razer’s latest 15” models.

If you want absolute garuntees of getting proper cards then some of the warehouse sellers like Provantage when they have stock but I think Newegg or Amazon are just fine, good return policies and some of the Chinese sellers selling via two those sites have been pretty decent, even emailing prior to shipment to make sure you have a compatible router and an actual m.2 slot and not an mpcie so they don’t get dinged by bad reviews.
Thank you for being the only one to address the new batches of CES 2022 (not that mfr's won't or haven't announced new products / tech at CES...
I believe the above reply was in jest, and 'twas funny, IF, it was in fact said tongue and cheek.... Regarding not being able to recommend products that don't exist/available yet...
That reply, if serious and being facetious, with slight attempt to 'flex or put me down, as though I were an idiot... Please read OP again! Did NOT ask, specifically for Market Available Hardware > rather 2022 announced products, their advancements, technology and it's 'game-change vs meh' implications, etc.
Thanks @avtella for the insight! Type of data/intel I was specifically, in part, seeking.. I hadn't, yet found Intel’s AX411 or Killer AXExxx (which, from what I gathered, Killer has been acquired by Intel... Which means they've got something that likely has some bite and future market share-grabbing appeal, for Intel to go all in on what they have developed (both KNOWN to Public and the Even more Telling, Internal Pipeline innovations, in development and/or to be mated with existing Intel patents/product line implementations.

Would assume AMD is having it's hand forced to innovate - which means even more WIN for we consumers!

Certainly, thanks to everyone who has taken a moment to stop by and contribute! By no means have I lost thirst for more next-gen/innovations - so keep the intel coming if you've the time to share!!!

Grateful and I am.

It's 6E not AX210. AX210 is the model of the card.

Anyway... What I was getting to is if you're hunting for 6E cards and you go on Amazon you'll get tons of relabeled results all using the Intel card. Anywhere from $35-$100 for the same HW just being repackaged. If you go into the reviews and search for AX210 you'll find it mentioned even if the brand name you're looking at is something totally different.
I knew what they were saying, LoL. But thanks for the respectful clarification.

Yup they got bought out. Killer never made cards they merely rebranded standard Qualcomm and Intel cards. Even the drivers are stock QCA/Intel. Only difference is the Killer variants allow you to install their horrible QoS software, which is Killer’s real product, which is snake oil for the most part.

The AX411 model # interesting enough was known for a couple of years, I believe it was in the inf file for Intel drivers for a while. Just didn’t know what it really was featureset wise till recently.

horrible QoS software, which is Killer’s real product, which is snake oil for the most part.
Smoke and Mirrors!

I'd like to see more diversity again with 802.11AX as I can come up with uses outside of what Intel offers / limits you to. It's a bit shocking that for the most part they're the only one offering AX / AXE on the client side. How did everyone else fall behind the 8-ball with this?

There are 4x4 AX client cards on like Ali Express and other places only problem is they are larger than standard laptop M.2 cards but may be fine for desktops, however one I saw was Mediatek based and I don’t know if it has Windows drivers. There some Compex branded 4x4 and 2x2 Qualcomm cards that support Dual Band Simultaneous too. For QCA and BCM you need to scour some warehouse sites like Newegg or some niche sites like one below.

I’ll try to find the link and post it in this message as an update.
Here’s some within the link but mpcie:
Also note that the new AMD RZ616 2x2 AXE cards coming to compete with Intel are actually by Mediatek so there is some competition coming up. AMD also seems to be teaming up with QCA so we may see the QCA Fastconnect 6900 DBS capable cards in the wild. Dell has used QCA cards recently in the XPS lineup.

Last edited:
I played around with a compex before switching to a QNAP AC2600 to host an AP off an internal card.

Compex gave me fits and left me wanting more though. They do tend to be a bit bleeding edge to source the QCA version in a different format though.

Seeing more QCA / BCM options would be appealing for turning it into an AP in a homebrew situation. Cheaper than getting an actual AP by about 50%.

I haven't really played around with MT's though since they're not as prevalent.

In the link above there are also 4x4 single band AP oriented Qualcomm cards for 2.4 / 5 / 6 GHz so you can build your own WiFi router :). The M.2 Version is expensive :Do_O. I will end with that sorry for derailing the topic OP.

Last edited:
Dell has used QCA cards recently in the XPS lineup.

as someone that has a couple of XPS13 laptops - the QCA/Killer cards there are horrible evil things that need to be smitten hard with a hammer into tiny little pieces...

Even though they are QCA cards, the vendor ID/device ID's are unique and make life a challenge getting Linux to work properly on them without blacklisting the built-in driver and rebuilding it with the hacked ID's.

I haven't really played around with MT's though since they're not as prevalent.

Mediatek has actually been a bit open about getting proper AP support into their opensource Linux drivers

With QCA - the challenge here is that ath10k/11k drivers are closed source without NDA's being signed - the ath10k-ct drivers released by CandelaTech are pretty good, but limited functionality compared to the closed source drivers...

If one can live with QSDK and the closed source drivers (e.g. signed the NDA, or know someone who has), they are very good, even though QSDK is stuck in time compared to OpenWRT (which QSDK is based on - Qualcomm has backported patches, etc, but it's still CC)

QCA/Killer cards there are horrible evil things
LMAO! Not only that they charge a premium for that experience.

challenge getting Linux to work properly
I did a rebuild on my server for ADL and ran into a similar issue with a RTL onboard that needed to be blacklisted to get it working. Kind of a PITA when working from a LiveCD as well when you want to DL something you need and have to go change the file on the fly.

QCA - the challenge here is that ath10k/11k
I've used a mix of different QCA's and had good success with them after reverse engineering some of the stuff tying them into AP mode / restarting the radios automagically via some service edits. Tweaking dual hostapd.conf files to control each one since they're seen as independent IF's.

as someone that has a couple of XPS13 laptops - the QCA/Killer cards there are horrible evil things that need to be smitten hard with a hammer into tiny little pieces...

Even though they are QCA cards, the vendor ID/device ID's are unique and make life a challenge getting Linux to work properly on them without blacklisting the built-in driver and rebuilding it with the hacked ID's.
True I ran into the device ID issue in Linux, in my case the Killer AC1550 ( Intel 9260AC). Intel actually at times would release beta/final drivers on the Killer site before Intel's own site had them, probably to use them as guinea pigs lol.

Most of that instability and system crashes and Win update failures, slow internet issues etc were essentially down to the Killer QoS software suite rather than the rebranded QCA or Intel cards themselves which as previously mentioned just used stock Intel/QCA drivers that were pretty decent without the software suite.

Not sure about recent candela ATH-10K drivers but the ones from a few years back, around late 2017-2018 I think, when compared to the standard one in OpenWRT had some stability issues. So I ended up using the regular ATH-10K drivers when learning to compile OpenWRT (LEDE back then while they were still split) builds on the R7800.

Good to know MediTek is more open, have you worked with their chipsets by any chance?

On a side note, one down side with my MacBook Pro 16" (Intel) that I miss from the PC side is the ability change WiFi cards to the latest gen even on 6-7 year old models, especially with threads like this making me jealous :).

Last edited: